Dual 2Ghz wt NG 6800 or Dual 2.7GHz wt ATI-R9600

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fenner, May 21, 2005.

1. fenner macrumors newbie

Hi There

I am about to by a new PowerMac but am unsure which to get. My machine and graphics card must be able to support Apple's 30" Cinema Screen. I intend to include 2GB of Ram.

I have two options:

Option 1:
    Power Mac G5 2.7Ghz Dual
    ATI Radeon 9650 Card with 256MB VM (Standard)

Option 2:
    PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz Dual
    NVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra DDL Card

The latter machine will be slighly cheaper. I can't really afford the 2.7 and the Ultra Card. Most of my work/play involves FileMaker Pro, Photoshop Basics with up to 100MB file size and light game use. Colour accuracy is very important as well as clarity.

Also, upping the Ram from 2GB to 4GB is an option later - will it really offer a difference that matches the price now (1GB Dimms instead of 512) and price later (more 1GB Dimms). I really don't want to take out 512 Dimms at a later stage to replace with 1GB Dimms. Is 2GB OK?

Any insights would be great.

Thanks.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Option 3:
    Power Mac G5 2.3Ghz Dual
    ATI Radeon 9650 Card with 256MB VM (Standard)

---

Since 8 DIMM slots (aka memory) is vastly more important than MHz over the long haul, and you can always upgrade the video card a bit later as more options become available.

Even a ATI X800 XT Mac Edition might be an interesting choice, if you don't have a nagging need for 2 30" displays.

3. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Graphics cards can be replaced when funds allow but RAM slots and CPU's can't (at least not yet on the CPU front). Seriously consider the 2.3 even if you only get it with the 9650.

You say you can't afford a 2.7 with a 6800 yet talk about a 30in cinema display. Get the basics right first the computer is what matters. A 2.7 with a radeon 9650 will be more than happy for the tasks you mention.

If colour clarity really is important than why you are considering the big cinema display is beyond me. While it is very impressive and has obvious uses it is by no means perfect. The shear size of the panel means it just isn't consistant across it's entire width. No review I've read has recommended it for colour sensitive creative work. The 23inch cinema display is also something of a dog at the moment as any one who visits a shop to see one knows why. Seriously consider 2x 20in apple displays if you must buy from apple. If your work really is important to you look at Lacie LCD's/CRT's. They have fantastic colour accuracy with good calibraton hardware options and at very good prices.

4. fenner thread starter macrumors newbie

Macs arrive in South Africa as is - which means there is no upgrading graphics cards, etc. If I want to put a 9650 card in the 2.3, it means a full new expense on the card (as the 2.3 comes with a 9600 card). So, there is no point, I may as well just get the 2.7 which comes with the 9650 card. Then I come back to my initial question.

If I knew the 9650 card would ably support the 30" Monitor then it would make my dilemma easier.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

6. fenner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I know about the dodgy 23" screens, and I am very taken with the 30" screen. But I wasn't aware that the 20" screens would have much better colour accuracy than the 30" screen. Ofcourse 2 x 20" Apple screens is about half the cost of the 1 x 30" screen. Now I am thinking to really save and get the 2.0Ghz Dual with 2 x 20" Apple Screens. I will upgrade fairly regularly (2 years) if there is a significant jump. Surely 2GB of Ram is enough? I don't think I am really going to make use of the extra processor speed.

PS: I only like brand new Apple products.

7. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

dual 2 ghz with 2x20" displays sounds like the way to go to me. That's still a very powerful setup, and with the money you save you can upgrade more regularly.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

still rather have a dual 2.5GHz refurb with an x800 and two dell 24" screens