Dual 450 G4 died, want to transfer HD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DVDSP, Apr 27, 2005.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

Yeah, so my dual 450 G4 finally decided it doesn't feel like starting up any more, temporarily at least. I believe the HD is fine and I would like to put it in another G4, so that I can get that part of my life back. :)

My concern is that I will then have two start-up drives in one computer. Will that screw anything up? I seem to remember that there is a way to choose which drive you want to boot to at start-up, but I don't remember how to do it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Make sure both drive's jumpers are set to Cable Select.
    Hold down Option at boot to choose your start up drive. You can also choose the start up drive from the Startup prefpane in System Preferences.

3. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I've moved the old drive into this computer and set the jumper to Cable Select. Too bad for me the drive that came in this computer doesn't have the diagram to show me how to set the jumpers. It's an 80 GB Western Digital. Any idea where I can find out how to set them correctly?

Thanks again,

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's a pretty fair bet that the stock one in your machine is set to Master, so just make your transplant drive "Slave". The OS doesn't care. The motherboard only cares that they are not both M or both S.