Dual 500 Mhz or 933Mhz?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by maclamb, Feb 6, 2002.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

My office gave me a G4 400Gigabit. I am trying to decide if I want to put $700 into a DP500 Upgrade card from Sonnet (my own $ - I may be able to buy the machine later from the company - maybe not)
    I do normal business/internet/email stuff, run OSX, Java, Apache-Tomcat, Powerpoint - no 3d, video or audio.
    OR
    Should I plop down $2100 for a 933 system that I would take to the office.
    I also have a Ti667 I use at home.

I'm thinking of adding an ATA 100 or 133 and another 7200RPM IDE drive, some extra RAM I have sitting sround and the DP500 card - costs about $1100.
    And I can reuse the drives later - and maybe sell the DP card if I leave the company.
    And save my money for a G5 at home.

Basically I guess I'm asking if the 933 is going to be that significantly faster than the DP 500?
    What would you do?

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

hard to say
    there both lightning
    dual 500
    that what I like
    but its up to you

3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I'm thinking of adding an ATA card
    will either an ACard 100 or 133 work in the G4 Gigabit System?

4. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Maybe a Dual 800?

You might get a great deal on a Dual 800, if somebody still have them in stock (like I did). I would go for that, but hey, the 933 model is... quite... FAST!!!! :D

Oh, this is my 100th post! Wohoooooo! :D

5. keithcobbett macrumors member

I'd say buy the 933. The bus speed is more and you will get more life out of it then spending half that cost on a dual 500 upgrade card and all the "others" that you need to purchase. Especially if you don't even own the 400 you are going to put the dual 500 in.

6. networkman macrumors regular

for what you do, they are both fast enough for the job so it is six of one and a half a dozen of the other

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You can install a Sonnet ATA100 or ATA133 card into that G4.

Be careful about the RAM though, make sure it is PC100 222 spec. and made by a good company/vendor. I have found that some memory, even though it is PC100, will not function in the G4's. Especially after the firmware update. That is because the memory was not up to spec. (cheap stuff). Anything that came direct from Apple, or is 222 has a 99% chance of working properly.

8. MaxRool macrumors member

I would be interested if you do go the sonnet path because i have been considering it myself for my 400Mhz PMG4.
    I develop with Tomcat as well.
    I found memory was the biggest benefit. I use a 1 Gig. I also tried 1.5 Gig, but found no perceivable difference between 1 and 1.5. You may want to consider this as a good 'bang for buck upgrade.
    The other thing I did was replace the Hard Drive with an IBM 7200 rpm ATA 100. This made a noticable difference to both startup and application load time.

However If I lived in the US I would seriously consider one of the 'model runout' DP800 as a cost effective upgrade.

Tell me how long does it take for Tomcat to startup on you machine and deliver the first jsp page? (mine takes about 30 seconds and I think there is something wrong with my configuration, but I can't find it).

9. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Stick with the dual 500 under OSX, you down need the extra speed right now. You might need some more RAM and, possibly, a bigger hard drive but if you only email and stuff there is no need for a 933.

I was going to switch my 533 for a dual 500 but I do a lot of graphic and processor intensive work and the down sides to the DP500 over machines released later REALLY show up with this work. Email on the other hand takes up SO little processor and graphic power that I could use it at practically the same speed on a computer half as fast as I have now.

10. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

Until I decide on the processor - I've orderd a 15,000 RPM SCSI Drive and Apdatec card - that should make quite a difference. :)
    I will also upgrade the RAM to 1 GiG

I will then see how it responds -

11. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Muuhahahahaha.....

I got my 933 G4 Apollo the other day. See the icon -->:D -that is all the message I can relay.

12. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Oh by the way. Final Cut Pro 3 in OS X. My God man, it is a thing of beauty. :D

13. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

JESUS, that's a bit of overkill, isn't it?
    How much did that drive set you back?

14. GigaWire macrumors 6502

933 totally, but not for US 2100

Acard ata card works fine in my DP 500 Gigabit

15. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

933, I tell you why...

1) You WILL notice a faster speed; not many programs take advantage of a dual processor machine.
    2) Much faster bus
    3) Superdrive
    4) Better Graphics
    5) Its New :D
    6) I know someone that upgraded processor cards, and it isnt the best thing to do...
    7) You will get more out of new machine
    8) Runs Mobile FCP3

16. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

How can a super fast drive be overkill?

$305 US for a Seagate 18 G - see www.megahaus.com

Actually my price would be $200 US w/ the Radeon 7500 and no modem from Apple - Ed discount....

I'll let you all know how it performs tomorrow with 2x as much RAM and the faster drive.

It's just a *leetle* sluggish right nbow (IE - no flames or threads please ;)
    and HD/Finder ops are slow - witht he drive and extra ram it should improve.

the question then will be - will the DP500 be enough....

:confused:

PS I stopped at CompUSA on the way home to pick up parts and played with a 733 and it was not bad - bet the 933 SCREEMS

17. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

MAXROOL

Tell me how long does it take for Tomcat to startup on you machine and deliver the first jsp page? (mine takes about 30 seconds and I think there is something wrong with my configuration, but I can't find it).

I won't get to this till this weekend.
    I'll post again then - but my time is about same as yours, I believe...

18. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: 933, I tell you why...

He is only using "normal business/internet/email stuff", why does he need the faster bus and faster processor?

Not really a necessity, is it; nice though.

Better Graphics for those graphic intensive Microsoft Office programs

I'm gonna leave that one

19. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I mostlyu ageree and lean that way---
    But:

1) You WILL notice a faster speed; not many programs take advantage of a dual processor machine.
    My understanding is that OSX _does_ use the DP correctly - it's not app dependant like OS9

2) Much faster bus - true
    3) Superdrive - true
    4) Better Graphics -true
    5) Its New VERY true
    6) I know someone that upgraded processor cards, and it isnt the best thing to do... - interesting - I might agree - like more opinions on this

7) You will get more out of new machine - plus if I add that 15K drive - it should basically float above the floor - no?
    8) Runs Mobile FCP3 - don;t use it - but I get your point.....
    :p

20. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

What i am getting

Infact, I am getting a new 933 pretty soon. I am ordering from apples education store. 2X80gig hard drives, 1gig RAM, and a 17in apple display. I really do hope you get the 933, I guarentee you will like it WAY better.

21. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

madamimadamtimallen...

I think we have a jealous user on board. What use does he need for a faster bus? MORE SPEED! You cant say he doesnt "need the speed." Everyone needs more power. Superdrive is not a necessity, but he will burn a few DVDs i bet. Graphics are better for everything smart one!

22. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Because you have not claimed to do anything that needs such a drive and just sounds like a waste of money to me. Also, when are you going to use that much RAM.

The DP 500 will be more than enough; so many of you people just go stupid. There is something better so I need it.... **eerrrr** Inncorrect.

23. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

madamimadamtimallen!!

What are you thinking. He wants a computer that is going to LAST. I think you dont want him to have a faster computer than you. A 933 would last him a very long time.

24. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: madamimadamtimallen...

How am I jealous, I can have a new machine any time I like and I am sure I could get it much cheaper than he could but WHY? I am VERY confortable will my machine and I do MUCH more heavy processing than he does. Wake up guys, PowerPoint.X only needs a G3 and that is because it runs under X, a G4 400 would be PLENTLY for what he does but I could see justification for a dual 500... a 933, 1 Gb of RAM and a 15000 RPM drive... give me a break. If he had said he was a big graphic designer or, better yet, a 3D animator, I would be pushing for all that stuff but he isn't.

25. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: madamimadamtimallen!!

A computer with a dual 500 will last YEARS; are you trying to tell me that you think in the next couple of years email and PowerPoint and Java will become obsolete to something that has a min requirement of a 933 with 1GB of RAM and a 15000 RPM HDD?

Come on, some of us here are actually down to earth. Just justify for me 1GB of RAM to run every one of the programs he mentioned at the SAME time.... it just does not happen.