Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I want to do this to increase the speed of my sawtooth. I think that the dual 500mhz was the last apple processor that is compatible with the sawtooth because they both run on 100mhz busses, correct?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
If you mean genuine Apple module with plug&play installation, the answer is yes.
Check first is your Sawtooth is DP capable (some wasn't). Use this utility: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13551/uninorthasicchecker

With a little tweaking (soldering will be needed), you can fit there CPU daughtercard from DA (less tweaks needed) or Quicksilver (more tweaks needed). It's also possible to overclock system bus to 120 MHz.

Third way is to find for cheap third party CPU upgrade. Some of them, like Sonnets are auto adjusting to system bus speed - would work with Sawtooth with 100 MHz bus or DA, QS with 133 MHz bus.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
If you mean genuine Apple module with plug&play installation, the answer is yes.

Yes I was talking about apple genuine parts. The reason I would get one of those instead of a sonnet is because I could get one for a good price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.