Dual 833 mhz G4 loud as a vacuum cleaner

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chaosbunny, Jun 17, 2005.

1. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Thank god, this isn't my machine! :p Since 3 weeks me and my 15" powerbook are freelancing in an advertising agency along my general independent design work. There are 2 other graphic designers in the room where they put me, working on an 450 (or something like that) mhz G4 tower and this dual 833 mhz G4 Quicksilver, both running OS 9.2. I'm not kidding, that 833 G4 is almost as loud as a vacuum cleaner!! The woman (yes this is a cliché but this time it's true) who works with the machine has put it in a cardboard box, because "it's a little bit less loud that way" :eek: I tried to tell them to get this machine repaired before it's too late but all they say is: "we have no time to get it repaired, we need it for work" I figure now it would be a rather cheap and fast repair they could plan, but I think this machine might die in a couple of weeks/months and then there will be lost data, an expensive repair and a lot of boring extra work that will end up on my shoulders...

Have you any ideas what could cause this noise and how or if one can get rid of it? Unfortunately installing OSX is not an option for them, at least not right now. I don't know how they do it, I can't concentrate with those constant noise. Please help.

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Getting a new quiet PSU would probably quiet it down quite a bit...

ShadOW :)

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Since you're in europe, try looking for a replacement 120mm Papst fan (it should be cheaper there than here), that'll quiet it down a bit, swapping out the 60mm processor fan also could help. Cutting the fan guard off will help with the exhaust fan noise. the 2 fan replacements are rather easy and if you're electrically competent, it should take more than a few minutes of downtime. The cutting of the guard would require that the PSU be removed.

I haven't checked the site recently but G4 Noise had some helpful tips for when I was silencing my QS.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Since I own a DP867, I can definitely relate and would recommend the following.

1. Like others said, replace the Power supply. The original ones were too loud and Apple had a program where you could get a new one for $20. I am guessing this person never took up the offer and has an original.

2. After doing #1, take the machine out of the box. The warmer the CPU gets, the louder the fans get. I really notice this during the summer time when I will boot and the fans go nuts. Heat is not good for a computer, for obvious reasons, so keeping it in a box will cause more problems than it solves.

5. chaosbunny thread starter macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Thanks to all of you! I'll try to get them change the power supply. Hope they will listen.

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I would PM BlueVelvet, she modded hers because it was to loud. This is a well known problem.

7. drbrog macrumors member

Why not open it up and see how dirty it is inside? Things may improve with a can of compressed air alone. It sounds like the machine hasn't been well maintained and I suspect its full of dust.
    Good luck.

8. carlos700 macrumors regular

Apple never sold a dual 833MHz Power Mac G4. I am wondering if you misquoted the processing speed, used a processor upgrade, or overclocked the processor.

This would help you narrow down the problem.

9. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

There was also...

a Firmware update for Fan control while running OS 9.x I would bet the Firmware has not been updated, and if you run OS X the fans behave normally.

10. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

He probably means dual 867. Anyway, I found that installing CHUD 3.5.2 on Tiger significantly reduces the temperature and the noise when Nap is enabled. This thread on Apple Discussions gives all of the instructions. Many people have had phenominal success with this fix, myself included. My Dual 1 GHz MDD used to run in the mid 130's F, but now it hangs around 105 F. Overall, my G4 stays about 30 degrees cooler than it did with out CHUD installed. I recommend it to anybody with a PMG4 running Tiger, you won't be disappointed.

11. carlos700 macrumors regular

I don't think so. He noted it was QuickSilver which only had single 867MHz not dual 867MHz. It is not a big deal, the reason I brought it up is if it is a processor upgrade card it could be installed incorrectly.

12. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It could also be an overclocked dual 800. Oh well, like you said, it doesn't really make a difference.

13. carlos700 macrumors regular

I have used single 733MHz Power Mac G4 Quicksilvers and they do not sound like vacuum cleaners. Plus they are using stock fans and power supplies, so you may need to replace something. If they are overclocked the increase in clock speed may cause the fans to run faster and louder.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have a (formerly) 867MHz Quicksilver '01. I call it "Qwoosh". It's so freaking loud. So I feel your pain.

I've not been brave enough to try and replace fans/power supplies, as I'm not sure that what I get will move enough volume of air to keep it cool (there's quite a bit of upgrade in there, mostly with fans of their own to add to the howl).

15. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

It sounds like you would also be a good candidate for the CHUD tools.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Already installed, but I don't know how they would help. AKAIK, they are for testing hardware performance for one's code. I don't see how they help with controlling fan/heat.

17. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

In the hardware pref panel, turn on the nap feature.

18. chaosbunny thread starter macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

I think I've misquoted it then. Like I said, it's not my machine and in the 3 weeks I've worked at that agency I haven't used it very often, since I bring my powerbook along.

I'll be there again on tuesday, thanks for all the input, now I have some suggestions for them. I'll let you know what they say... and if we get that baby quieter.

I'll look up all the specs of the G4 too then, should have done that before I started the discussion. Sorry!

19. chaosbunny thread starter macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Alright, I've been there today and here are the correct specs of the machine

G4 Dual 867 mhz, 768 mb ram, 60 gb hd, running OS 9.2.2

We tried to boot it from OSX today (it has 10.2.4 on it too) and the sound suddenly was only half as loud, so I believe it's a software and not a hardware problem. Do you know how to get that Firmware update for Fan control while running OS 9.x?

20. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Here is the link. Just run the installer, and follow the directions. It's simple.

21. chaosbunny thread starter macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Thank you! Can't wait to test this tomorrow ;)

22. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

You're quite welcome. Let us know how it goes.

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

???? That link is for an MDD firmware update. That won't work on a Quicksilver, will it?

24. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Aww crap! You're right. I was thinking MDD the whole time. I don't know if there is a fix for the Quicksilvers, but I'll look. I'm so sorry about that!