Dual 867 crashes (sleep) - major frustration

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by giovanni, Jan 13, 2003.

1. giovanni macrumors regular

Hi all,
    my Mac rarely wakes up in a good shape after sleep. Most often it will indeed wake up however incredibly unstable with guaranteed crashes. The computer just hangs, with that color ball turning and turning. That is why I guess I had set sleep to "never". But I figure I would rather have it to sleep instead of turning on and off.
    Now is there anything I should do to try to solve this big problem other than reinstalling OS 10.2.3 ? I thought it might be my firewire devices but, after disconnecting them all, the problem was still there.
    Note that I have no strange devices installed, or strange software. I have installed myself a Pioneer A104 and 1gig ram from Crucial. I have run the Apple provided hardware test and all was good (other than it did not detect my airport which works pretty well).
    Any ideas ?

giovanni

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

first of all, why turn it on or off anyways?? os x likes to be on all the time.

second, i would check to see what processes you are running. some programs, inevitably nonapple ones, like to take up cycles when they are not being used. this can cause alot of problems upon waking up from sleep, including a program trying to make up on hours of missed cycles. chimera used to have this problem.

3. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

hi, thanks. I doubt that I have any non Apple programs running when I leave the Mac and it goes to sleep. But I will check on that. I wonder whether playing a game like Ghost Reckon screws things up just enough to cause this mess (it is just a conjecture, I have no idea...). But I always exit it before I leave.

giovanni

4. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, as to the first part of your reply. It is kind of noisy so at least at night I do prefer to turn it off - but sleeping would be just the best of it all !

gio

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i have a simliar problem sometimes

i find that if you have doen alot of work on it then things are just messy. it is best to shut it down onnce in a while, like once every week :)

but as for sleeping, make sure that noting is trying to access the network/internet.

good luck

6. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

ok, I guess I will try and make sure nothing is accessing the network. All I have is an airport to access the internet so I guess that means closing apps like browsers and email.

gio

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

try this method...

when you put your computer to sleep, logout first. at the login screen, put the machine to sleep. see what kind of results this gives you.

8. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I've had similar problems trying to get my iMac to "wake up" only to have it freeze and discovered that it only occured when my USB hub was powered. An Apple rep I met confirmed that sometimes peripherals do unexpected things to their machines. The problem doesn't occure anymore and I'm not sure why, I've bought new peripherals and discarded old ones (scanners, photocard readers, etc) and now I can leave my hub powered and wake up just fine.

9. giovanni thread starter macrumors regular

Erick,
    so you don't have anymore wake up problems even if you leave network apps (like email or browser) running ?

thx,
    gio

10. erickkoch macrumors 6502a