Dual 867 MDD vs. Dual GHz refurb. QS?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by WannabeSQ, Nov 15, 2002.

1. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    At Powermax, the refurb QS dual gig goes for $2149 and the new Dual 867 with superdrive goes for $1899. Is $250 worth it for the faster processor in an older model? The new QS dual ghz goes for $2349, and the new MDD dual ghz goes for $2494. What is my best option? I want a superdrive, but dont care about HD size as I already have a few of my own. The Video card doesnt matter cause i will probably be using a Radeon 8500.

I do audio editing with Pro Tools (waiting for pt6 and OSX compatibility) with a Digi 001 (host based protools, as opposed to their own DSP cards) I also plan on doing some Final Cut Pro work, possibly photoshop. I hear they fixed the problems with the MDD boxes and my protools card with the new REV so that is no longer an issue. I have a feeling that using an 18 channel 24 bit 48khz audio card would benefit from the DDR ram on the MDD models. Am I correct in assuming this?

To sum up, Im looking for the best bang for my buck, but also want good performance for Audio and Video. I plan on buying this in January, is something new coming that I should think about too?

Edit is for minor grammar errors
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Unless there is a specific reason for absolute speed now, then the newest architecture over the long haul is generally the best choice at similar clock speeds.
  3. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    The new Dual 867 has been appearing as a $1500 refurb lately...that leaves you $650 to add an AO5 Superdrive (pricwatch has them for under $300).

Although I haven't tried yet (damn thing won't crash), you can overclock the 867 to 1GHz in open firmware...