Dual 867 or Dual 1ghz?

Discussion in 'Community' started by G4scott, Sep 21, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm looking to get a new PowerMac. I can get $500 for my old G4 at CompUSA, and I'm wondering if the Dual 1ghz is worth the $1000 extra, for the faster processor, faster bus, better graphics card, bigger HD, and SuperDrive.

I don't really use it for high end stuff, but I'd like for it to last me at least, if not more than 3 years. (My old G4 is almost 3 years old!)

So, do you think it's better to pay the extra $1000 for a better machine that might outlast the dual 867? I know the bus speed difference doesn't seem like much, but you never know...

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If I were you I would get the 867 because it seems like a much better deal, and you'll have money to spare to buy a better monitor, better speakers, and then a better computer later. It really depends on how much you are willing to spend, and how long you plan on keeping the computer.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

that would be my thinking, to pay the extra if you want it to last 3 years. when you update every year or so, it's much better to go for the cheaper stuff, at least in the PC market. old tech gets cheap pretty fast... much faster than it gets obsolete, in my opinion. my geforce 3 ti 200 (oy, still a PC user, just you wait till i get my tibook!) is still a very good card; it does what i need and then some. and it really holds my 2 1/2 year old system together... however, it's my opinion on computers that the best way to beef up a system for general usage is to add ram, faster hartd drives, and faster video. for instance, the dual GHz processors aren't going to help you much more then than the 867s on file opening. if you are considering getting the dual 1 GHz with the same amount of ram as the 867s, i would choose to go up to a GB of RAM over the GHz.. maybe that's just me.

whatever you pick, you'll be pleased. i went to look at the new 867 yesterday at fry's electronics; it was hooked up to a 23 inch display... gorgeous. we ran 5 quicktime movies on it all at the same time. it made me feel much more powerful than i should be feeling.... i can't imagine what it would be like to own it.

on a note about the powermacs, i find the fact that the DDR and 167MHz bus did not help it much over the old version rather disturbing; they really need to power their bus up--either that or the L3 cache already gave the processors all the memory bandwidth they can use.

4. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

I already have a monitor that works just fine with it, and it'll be used mainly by my parents, since I'll be at college starting next fall. They were thinking about the iMac, but since my dad does use photoshop and illustrator, I told him that I thought a PowerMac would not only be faster, but it would last longer than the iMac. I'm also hoping that I can upgrade more on this computer than my old G4 400. Seeing as that a little less than 3 years ago, the 400mhz G4 was the bottom of the line (and then the middle), and it lasted 3 years, the new PowerMacs should last the same amount of time, if not longer. I mean, sure, they're really fast, but unless you're doing hardcore video and imaging, which I don't do, you don't really need a super fast processor. Dual 1ghz processors should last for quite a long time for me, in my opinion. Is is just worth the extra 1000 for the faster bus, super drive, graphics card, etc?

5. BongHits macrumors regular

i originally thought (when buying my quicksilver) superdrive!? who needs that...but i sprung for it anyways and now my HD is packed with ripped DVD's. In your case....i would go 867 (u said yourself not hardcore work)....and add a superdrive with additional ram...wait for the ati 9700 to come out (get a 9000pro or gf4mx to hold u over) and upgrade to the largest available hard drive, after that expand as needed.
    compare the dual 1 ghz with the custom 867 and decide which is the better value (remember you'll need speakers etc, so factor in)

6. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Let me just clarify some things... I don't really need speakers for this thing, but I've already got something decent for them. I currently have all the external add-on's that I need. I also have a 30 and a 40 GB HD to put in it, so the only think I'm looking to upgrade now is the RAM. I don't want to buy a low end computer and then upgrade it later. I'd rather buy the computer with the DVD writer in it, or the Radeon 9000. I don't need the 9700, and I'm not going to shell out $400 for it. I just want a basic computer that will last me at least 3 years, that I will be able to upgrade in the future if the need arises (such as a graphics card, if the 9000 becomes outdated)

7. iGav macrumors G3

I'd start pimping to raise that little extra cash and go for the Dual 1.25GHz if I were you.... :eek: :eek: :p

8. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm already doing that to be able to get the dual 1ghz :eek: :p :D :cool:

9. iGav macrumors G3

:eek: :eek: :eek: heh heh :p :p :p

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Get an old powermac, and then buy the dual 1.2 GHz upgrade from powerlogix.... That might work... It would be cheaper . It might not make you happy, but I am always happier w/ more $ in my pocket.

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I bet you could find the old dual 1 GHz for about $1800 if you shop a while. That would be a very fast computer. But I would still get an old powermac off eBay, and put the dual 1.2 GHz from PowerLogix in it... That would be really fast. :D

12. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

OK. Final judgment. I'm looking for something that's fast, expandable, and will last for quite some time. Right now, the new dual 1ghz seems to be the way to go, because it's a faster architecture than the 867, and will be more compatible with future upgrades. The dual 867 seems nice, but it also seems like I'll be putting more money into it sooner to upgrade it than I would with the dual 1ghz...

If you have anything to say, speak within the next 24 hours, or forever hold your peace ;) :p

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i say dual 867. its got all the expandability of the other towers for a much better price. its still got the l3 cache. a grand total of 266MHz less isnt worth $450 to me.

to me the two higher towers are not worth the money, but the dual 867 is a steal.

14. heiesuke macrumors newbie

heiesuke

^my thoughts exactly^ but if u think the 1ghz is gonna make u happier then go for it. I personally went with the Dual 867, becuz as so many put it, it's a steal.

15. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

i would say that if you are not getting a monitor, you should get the dual gig but have them drop the superdrive. It just subtracts speed from the group that doesnt produce dvds. Also, you could make the hard drive smaller if you really dont need 80 gigs.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The 867 is not a steal. It is a steal compared to other macs. But macs have a much higher pricing standard.... That is a digression though... I would go for the 867, I think that it will be a much better deal, and it wont keep you from upgrading anything... The 1 GHz isn't a very good deal...

17. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i played with both the dual gig and the dual 867 today in the apple store, and i have to say i really didnt notice a difference at all, and i was being very hard on it. even the gf4mx seems to have a fair amount of power. the radeon 9000 is gonna be one bitchin card once the drivers are mature, tho. i still say 867s.

18. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well, I finally got the new computer...

The dual 1ghz.

Now, before some of you argue that I was ripped off, I don't think the price is too bad... Seeing as that I get a faster system bus, faster processor speed, faster video card, and a super-drive, I feel that it was worth it. Besides, I only paid $2000. :D :cool:

I just have to say one thing:

Wow.

This thing screams... And the expandability is awesome. I easily popped in 2 hard-drives, and they worked flawlessly... I put in a 2nd CD drive, and it works (but I had to open it up, and remove the front cover of the drive, after I found out it wouldn't fit with the cover) The thing may be noisy, but what do you expect from a turbo-charged, twin engine, supercomputer (ok, so I'm exaggerating a bit here...) With 2 G4's, 3 HD's, and 2 optical drives, I'm kinda glad I can hear the fan. That way I know everything is being cooled. I mean, I'm sure you'd want your twin engine Porche to make noise, that way you know it's working (except for the grinding, clanky noises :eek: )

I love my Mac... :cool:

19. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

wow, looks like someones happy :p
    i might still get a dual 867 (1 ghz is too expensive for me) and im gonna really cross my fingers that my current dvd-rom drive works with it (n the spare 40 gig drive i have..well soon to be spare)

20. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yea we'll have to work on taht dvd drive. The HD will work tho.. tahts definate. Except, ull have to.. well... erase everything on it and format it to mac os extended (hfs+) format.

21. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i know that i'll have to reformat it, what im thinking is either:
    1) install vpc on the mac n network the 2 puters together
    2) burn everything to cds

i hope the dvd-rom drive (LG dvd-rom drive) will work
    how are dvds on the new powermacs? dvds on my peecee are pretty framish-sound cuts in/out, but then again theres only 11 mb integrated video card :(...a mac sounds sooooooo sweet (without conversion) compared to my puter

22. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

11 mb integrated eh? sound like u have an HP, hehe. I know taht cuz my friend has a 533 Mhz HP wil 11 Mb vid and onl 64 mb of ram. and only hp would make such an ungodly number their choice for vid card MB's.