Dual 867 vs Dual 1 ghz

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by PeteyNice, Jan 14, 2003.

1. PeteyNice macrumors newbie

So, the love I have for my iPod and my great disdain for MusicMatch has made me consider Switching. I have it narrowed down to either the Dual 867 or the Dual 1 Ghz Power Macs. I do not have any real need to burn DVDs. Is the increase in bus speed and proc. speed that impressive as to warrant the $800 premium on the 1 Ghz models?

2. wormy macrumors member

wait a few weeks and you should be able to get the dual 1ghz for the same price as the current dual 867. dat's what i'm doing, taking one horrible day at a time.

3. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

The 867 is a great value. In a few months, you can spend the $800 on a dual processor upgrade, or you could use it to purchase 2GB of RAM, a Radeon 9000 upgrade, a DVRA05 (SuperDrive), and .mac. Additionally, the bus and processor speeds make a difference, but it is not huge for the casual user (you'll notice it most in A/V editing, HEAVY multitasking, and server based tasks).

However, I agree with the above poster that you should wait a few weeks to see if there is an upgrade.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i have the new dual 867 and the new dual 1ghz. it all depends what your going to be doing. the 867 is a great buy. in just regular stuff they both seem the same. if your not gonna be doing any heavy duty program stuff go with the 867.

iJon

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

if you look carefully you will find that an 867 can be safely overclocked to a 1083, or 1Ghz.

basically apple has slowed down the 1Ghz FSB (167 -> 133) and used cheaper RAM.

i have an overclocked one and the only difference i notice is that my fan is now as loud as my dads real 1Ghz. but i saved AUD1500 doing that.

good luck