1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Dual ADC Quartz Extreme Video Card Options?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by arn, Nov 6, 2003.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

So,

What options do I have if I want Quartz Extreme enabled on by two ADC monitors?

I think I need an AGP card with ADC and DVI that supports dual head display.

Is Apple the only place these cards exist? I suppose I could also use a dual DVI and get another adapter.

arn

2. macrumors regular

Just set up a system yesterday, 2 23" Cinemas on a G5 with the 9800. You need the DVI 2 ADC connection, retail around $150. Pretty cool, I wish I personally could afford another 23"

3. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yeah... but let's assume I'm not buying a G5 at the moment. ;)

I don't think you can get the Radeon w/ ADC not from Apple.

arn

4. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

does ati have any idea how many mac users are waiting for a top notch adc video card? Im wanting one also but for another reason but 2 monitors would be cool.

5. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Won't the Radeon 9000 work?
    Affordable, and has an ADC and DVI output. Just need a DVI to ADC adapter.

6. macrumors 65816

wrc fan

You can get a GeForce 4 MX with both ADC and DVI at Other World Computing for $70

7. macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Ill sell you my oem geforce 4MX that came with my Qs933, though Im sure you dont want it when ou could get a new one for so cheap.

8. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

geforce4 mx??radeon 9000? those cards are ok but not top notch by any stretch of the imagination, my 2.5 yr old geforce 3 can match those clowns how about a nice ati 9800xt with ADC ati???? ati is there anyone home???

9. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I guess that's the issue... can't seem to get an ADC out card from ATI.

these seem to have both adc and dvi from OWC:

ATI 9000 64MB

GeForce 4MX 32MB

arn

10. macrumors 603

solvs

The 9000 is probably your best bet.

Unless you want a GF4Ti. Only $399 at the Apple Store. :eek:

11. macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Instead of shelling out for a 23" or worse still twin 23"s. Buy a projector, and the size is only limited by the size of your wall.

12. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The problem with LCD projectors is resolution. They get pricey real quick when you get above XGA (1024x768).

Plus, bulb life and replacement is a big issue.

Projectors are cool for occasional use, but not for day-to-day computing.

13. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Alright...

My decision...

I bought the Geforce 4 Ti (ADC + DVI) from Apple - $399. Costly.... but....

The GeForce 3 ADC version that I'm replacing fetches a nice price on eBay. ($300-$400) since it's the fastest card that still fits into a Cube.

Hopefully will come close to breaking even... and will have Quartz Extreme on two monitors.

arn

14. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

just saw this,thats a great card but very overpriced. there is a market for a great adc card and currently the one you bought is at the top since Ati never really made a Mac 9800 only gave us the pc card with the words made for mac, the open gl stuff is great but a mac card without adc is not a mac card.

15. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

did you say what i thought you said about a geforce3 adc??? thats what iam using ,hmm any cube owners out there?