Dual-Bay Drive Enclsoures, What to Pick?

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by pbmagnet4, Nov 21, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I currently have a 2TB 3.5" and a 1TB 3.5" and I have them both in enclosures but I would like get rid of some clutter, so I would like to ask you all if there are any decently priced dual-bay enclosures with USB3 and Firewire 800 options. I say Firewire 800 because I doubt these massive drive can even use the full potential of USB3.

I also have a couple of 2.5" HDDs that dont have any home at all and have been bear for months. Any advise on a dual-bay enclosure with USB3 and Firewire 800 would be greatly appreciated aswell.

Thanks

2. macrumors 65816

marzer

I use one of these to run 2 3.5inch drives as separate drives. I picked it up for the same reason, to reduced clutter.

And one of these to combine 2.5 inch drives. It won't see them as independent, but in RAID 0 makes a speedy little external. Its bus powered using FW800, so it also reduces clutter by not needing a power adapter.

3. thread starter macrumors member

4. macrumors 65816

marzer

You're welcome. I use a mini raid as a time macine backup for my imac. It tucks neatly out of the way under the screen on top of the computers foot.

5. macrumors regular

I have this too and am happy with it. Be aware that it doesn't have USB3 as you requested - its USB is USB2.