Dual boot: Linux and OS X.3

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by reberto, Aug 9, 2005.

1. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Is there a way to have Linux and OS 10 on the same partition and be able to boot into either one?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Even if it could somehow be done, each would want incompatible files with the same names in the same locations. You don't want to go there.

If you really don't want to repartition or use another disk, you might want to look at something like Mac-on-Mac instead.

3. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Don't even try for the same partition.. I'd say you would want more on the mac side... I mean it sounds cool now.. but you will get bored with linux... lol

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Wow, I had never heard of that, but damn that's cool!

5. rinseout macrumors regular

Consider one of the Live CDs, like this one:
    http://se.releases.ubuntu.com/5.04/ubuntu-5.04-live-powerpc.iso

You can run linux straight off of the CD and needn't worry about installing anything on your HD. (It's good for playing around with and the occasional task, but you wouldn't want to make a habit out of running on CD.)

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

You can install KDE or GNOME directly within X11. I had a fully functional Linux-style desktop environment back when I was on 10.3. I followed instructions in a Macworld article from last year to get it setup. I don't have a link, but I'm sure you could find the info on Google. There's no VM or emulation. It's all native, all on the same partition as OS X.

It was a pretty slick setup.

7. reberto thread starter macrumors 65816

reberto

Part'

I partitioned my HD. Now I got Obuntu and OS X.3.9! Sweetness. :D :D :D :D :D :D