Dual Boot Linux

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacAodh, Mar 15, 2007.

1. MacAodh macrumors regular

Hey, Does anyone know how to dual boot linux and OsX on a macbook. Or better yet, is there any easy way of doing so??? I want to have a good try of linux but i only use my laptop 99% of the time... therefore never use the old desk top that's now linux...

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

You could try Parallels but it's $80. I am sure you could install Linux in Boot Camp.

3. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

from what i understand you can't, bootcamp only allows windows. Parallels is what i'm using at the moment but it's really slow and stop-start. not really that useful

4. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Its possible to dualboot linux and OSX, however the process is messy and not that easy unless you have a firm unix or linux background, and are capable of using the terminal.Here is a link for installing Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=198453

5. nplima macrumors 6502a

yeah, using that keyboard thingy is tricky... it hurts the tips of your fingers if you don't do it right :D In my experience, you don't actually need to use the terminal to get this job done, it's all point&click. when Ubuntu Linux is all set up, there aren't those many situations when you need the terminal, what you do have is the option to use it if you prefer.

As for the instalation procedure: the partition manager that is used with Ubuntu Linux for x86 computers works better than the one for PPC. Unfortunately I won't be able to get in to much detail about that as I never installed linux on a x86 Mac, only PPC and x86 "normal" PCs.

On my Powerbook G4 I had to:
    1) set up the partitions with the Ubuntu CD, so that it would create the right combination of boot partitions, yaboot loader partition, one for Linux swap, one for OS X and the last one for Linux itself.
    2) cancel the setup after partitioning/formatting is done
    3) set up OS X on its specific partition (mine: 30GB)
    4) set up Linux on its partitions (25GB for / , 1GB for Swap)

I tried to have a FAT partition there as well to ease the transfer of files between OSs but I couldn't get it to work, as the Mac partition tables seem to be different than the ones I know from the DOS world. this is less of a concern as there are extensions to OS X that allow EXT2 read/write and Linux can mount HFSplus partitions. This way I can put files on /Users/Shared on the OS X side and fetch them when I boot with Linux. The opposite also works.

Hope this helps!

Nuno

6. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

Hey
    Thanks a million. Might just try that anyway. I heard something about the different booting - EFI instead of the old one... (god i wish i could remember the name of it now..... :mad:) think i heard that there was a problem. that was when - when people were trying to load windows before bootcamp, does the same problem happen with linux???

Thanking you all

7. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Linux on intel Mac's is more difficult to install. The instalation fails at the end, and you have to complete it manually. Its not a point and click installation like it is on PPC Mac's or regular BIOS x86 PC's. Take a look at the link i posted earlier, it will clear up what you have to do to get Ubuntu on an Intel Mac.

8. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

yea, just had a looksie, think when my exams are over and before leapord comes out i might just have to go a tinkering. Thank you