Dual Booting Panther and Jaguar on one Hard Drive... Possible??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Xero, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Xero macrumors 6502

well, ive got a copy of panther [i know someone who was at WWDC so, back off! :)] but im on a powerbook and i dont have a firewire drive or ipod at the moment, so i was wondering if its possible to dual boot panther and jag form the same internal HD. anyone have an insight? i was thinking of backing up, then formatting/ partitioning. but i dont really know how to go about partitioning, and the like. if anyone could help out, or tell me if this is even possible, itd be much appreciated! ultimatly id like to be able to load panther without formatting, or loosing jag, but the chances of that being possible are probably null, and my PC experience tells me that thats probably not possible in the mac world either.:rolleyes:

2. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

you would have to partition the drive, which can be done relitiveally easally
    but it intitles wipeing the drive clean
    partitioning can be done in disk utility, its pretty easy to fuigure out.

3. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply. this is how im planning on going about it: im using Carbon Copy Cloner form my roomie's powerbook [with mine in Target Mode] to make an Image of my current drive, then im gonna move that image to my PC [since theres no room on mine or his powerbooks]. after that im going to format, then partition. then load the image back on one partition, and panther on the other! lets hope all goes smoothly. feel free to leave more comments everyone.

4. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

EDIT: one thing im concerned about, is storing the image on my PC. mainly cause im not sure ill be able to restore from the image when its on my pc. hmm, well, well see... help!!:eek: :)

EDIT 2: whoops, this was meant to be an edit, not a quote/reply, obviously!

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i wouldnt go through the trouble. expose it the only thing ive found that is really cool and different. other than that its pretty buggy. luckily i put it on a spare drive so i can boot right back into jaguar.

iJon

6. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

well im thinking i want the extra partition, even if i get rid of the panther beta at some point, and then ill still have all my jaguar stuff. the problem, and questio im running into now, is weather the 2 partitions will dynamicly change size if need be. im searching the forums now, but if anyone knows the answer pease let me know, thanks!

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Re: Dual Booting Panther and Jaguar on one Hard Drive... Possible??

Duff-Man says...so, how does knowing someone that was there make you a legit user....so, your friend lent you the cd instead of you having to d/l from carracho/hotline...same end result......oh yeah!

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Dual Booting Panther and Jaguar on one Hard Drive... Possible??

come on, does it really matter. who cares where he got it from.

iJon

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Re: Re: Re: Dual Booting Panther and Jaguar on one Hard Drive... Possible??

Duff-Man says...I would not have commented if he had not tried to insinuate that knowing someone that was there somehow made it okay...he is not using it legitimately and should not pretend he is....oh yeah!

10. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

I've never heard of a partition that dynamically changes size. I think that would defeat the purpose.

i_b_joshua

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

partitions can't be resized without pro software. partition magic was one that would do it on the PC, i dunno about the mac. i bet the one you are using to make images might, but i doubt it. i strongly recommend you make the panther partition small, say, no more than 4 GB. i actually have my OS 9 on a 2nd partition on my drive, which i also use as a swap partition :)

12. orangefoodie macrumors member

About Partition Magic anyways...

Speaking of PM, does anyone know of a mac program that can do what Partition magic can -- i.e. change partitions without data loss? I've found that diskutil and the like are destructive with their partitioning... PM's a very happy and nice program on the PC and I haven't been able to find a similar solution on my 17" pb (my first mac, nonetheless!). ^_^

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

tech tool 4 is supposed to do this I think but they keep pushing back the release for it so i'm ot sure when you will actually see it in action :( sorry to dissapoint you

14. Xero thread starter macrumors 6502

i know for a fact that PC's nativly support a partitioning method that allows the partitions to dynamicly change size if they fill up, ive done it from the dos prompt before.

I actually ended up making a 5gb partition for panther and the rest for jaguar. Another crazy thing i tried to do [someone told me this worked for them!:confused:] is have the 2 OS's share user home folders. basically i used terminal, logged in as root, and replaced the home folder in panther with a symbolic link to the one on the jaguar partition. i did this to try and keep things synced between the OS's, so i could move freely between the two, without having to worry about which one i was using for mail, bookmarks, address book, iCal, etc... it worked in a sort of half-assed way: things like mouse prefs and the dock would reset themselves whenever i booted into the opposite OS. im pretty sure it wasnt working well because of permissions settings or something, even though the user names i set for both OS's was the same. anyone know of a way to get this to work correctly?

p.s. i realize that my getting the panther cd from someone who was at wwdc doesnt make it any "better", i was just being goofy thats all. :)

EDIT: ugh, expose has suddenly busted on me.. anyone know any good panther support forums, irc channels, anyhting of that sort? son of a!

15. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I've got Panther running off my iPod. How can I have it boot up in Panther instead of Jaguar?

I've already gone to Startup Disk in System Preferences and have chosed for it to boot in Panther, but whenever I shut it down and restart it it starts in Jaguar.

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

restart, and as it boots, hold down the option key. this should load the start up manager. just select your firewire drive, the iPod, from there :)

17. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Ahh ok... thanks. :)

I'm just starting to figure out the nuances of a Mac and am loving it.

18. syco macrumors member

I got Panther and Jaguar running on different partitions on the same hard drive.

19. gopher macrumors 65816

FWB Partition Toolkit for the Mac does dynamic partition resize like partition magic. The only unfortunate thing about it, is it is not compatible with Mac OS X. They are working on a Mac OS X native one, with no known completion date. Again, I wouldn't use it without backing up all your data first.