Dual Booting Tiger and Panther

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Downdivx, May 5, 2005.

1. Downdivx macrumors regular

I want to dual boot Tiger and Panther on one Mac. Tiger looks really cool, but I need a working Panther load for business. I loaded both OS on different partitions, but now only Tiger loads. :confused:
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I doubt this helps, but I have Panther on one drive, Tiger on the other, and I can boot into either without issue. Apparently (based on your post) this doesn't work with partitions. It does, however, work fine with separate drives.

3. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

I can also confirm, that have a dual booting system works fine with Tiger and Panther, each on its own drive.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah, could you be more specific on what you mean by only Tiger loads? How are you tryng to switch between the 2?

5. Angrist macrumors 6502

While I can't speak to Panther/Tiger dual booting, I did dual boot Jaguar/Panther on one drive with two partitions, and that worked. Go to system prefs / startup disk, and you should be able to pick the OS to load at restart.

6. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I assume you've already tried the "Startup Disk" control panel in the System Preferences... so, try this:

hold down the "option" key while booting the computer, it should list all partitions that you can boot from and let you select one

7. Downdivx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I guess what I was missing was that I needed to hold down the "option" key!

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

OS 9 and 10.4 on different partitions here...

OS 9 can't read HFSX (case sensitive) so I have to use the Option key method to switch back and forth!
    :D

9. Tyrson macrumors newbie

A Dual Booting Issue

I'm bringing up an old thread, but I felt it was relevant..

I have video editing machines here, recently upgraded to the Tiger OS (10.4.6 as of today) to go with the 10.3.9 Panther OS on a secondary drive (old main boot drive). Both are SATA in a MAC G5. The video editors need to boot off of the older Panther drive when they need to work in Final Cut Pro 4.5, but they do not have proper admin rights to do this from the OS side. This leaves them to hold down the 'option' key at startup.

However, I am running into a problem. When I or the users hold down the option key, the drives display, but the system appears to hang, the ticking watch replacing the mouse icon, and I'm unable to select either of the drives at all. I need to power the machine down and restart for it to boot normally.

His anyone encountered this? I've heard nothing but success so far for dual booting in this manner, so there must be something that I'm not doing right. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It takes quite a long time for the all the buses to be scanned when one holds down the Option key at boot. It could take 5 minutes (or more), how long are you waiting?

11. Tyrson macrumors newbie

Hmmm, that might be it. I'm not a patient guy, I waited around a minute. :eek: I'll try to wait a bit longer, and see if that helps.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you only waited a minute then you definitely didn't wait long enough. Minimum time is probably around 2-3 minutes.

13. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

My experience has been that it takes quite a while too. Out of curiousity, why do the video guys need Panther? I'm using FCP 4.5 in Tiger with absolutely zero problems. I was running it in Panther before that, and I actually did the regular (and frowned-upon here) upgrade install with no issues.

14. Tyrson macrumors newbie

I don't think it's the OS they need per se. They needed Tiger for version 5 because it requires 10.4.4 or greater to run, but they also wanted a fall back drive to edit FCP 4 files on. I'm not 100% sure on why they still want to use 4 (I'm not a video editor, myself), but it probably has something to do with lack of backward compatibility between 4 and 5. So, we decided to keep the old main hard drives and place them as the secondary drives.

By the way, I let the bus scan go, but after almost a half hour it still would not allow me to select a drive. A thought came to mind that maybe I need to change a jumper on the old SATA drive, but they both show up fine in the OS. I probably should try to check into that anyway..

15. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

sorry one more time to putold thread up,but I wanted to make dual booting with this 2 operative systems,but wanted something like grub (a bootloader?) to choose wich one I want to boot from,any suggestions?

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hold the option key while starting up