Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Dude it's not that big. As a 6+ user I'm telling you it's not that big of a phone. I have regular size hands
Seriously, it's not that big at all. I jumped from an iPhone 6 and 2014 Moto X to a Nexus 6, which has a 1.3" larger display than the iPhone 6, yet it's not huge at all. I got used to it within a day or so. Now it just looks normal sized and anything less looks and feels tiny.

Reactions: BruceEBonus

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Why is this coming to the Plus only? Battery, internal space and money.

This thing is going to be at least twice the size of the normal camera modules at first so rather than having to listen to the incessant whining about incredibly reduced battery life on the 7, they will slap it in the device with the most internal space to take the hit.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it move to 7s/8 when they've further optimised the modules and any unseen kinks in the first gen. Good news for the 7 is that image stabilisation should filter down to the 7 this year for this reason and also as an up sell to soften the blow for potential 7 users who want camera improvements too.

You also pay more for the Plus, so Apple can cover the cost of this new tech a bit more than you would in the 7. Margins people, margins!

Hasn't Sony supplied the iPhone camera modules for years? Bet they're not gonna be too happy reading this report.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
lol at
'DSLR-Like'
I'll setting for RX100-like (1" sensor) but it's not going to happen. I suppose if one is gonna hype up something, go all the way. Someone somewhere will believe it.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
SLRs are not used for their 'quality', it's about creative control. So unless Apple are planning a phone with a camera that has a large controllable range of apertures, shutter speed, ISO and focal length there will be nothing 'SLR like' about it.

Reactions: emmanoelle

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
meh, new cameras on iPhones never really excite me.. and i never purchase a new phone because it has a better camera.

Since my iPhone's camera got to a reasonable standard, I no longer need to take my point & shoot anywhere with me. For many of us, the camera is a very important feature. It will never replace my DSLR, but it's got to a point where it's good enough to take some really good photos when I am out & about.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This company seems to be primarily working on the software rather than camera module. They appear to be using off-the-shelf camera modules but then using software to combine multiple images into one better picture. Many aps such as Cortex already do this. The benefit of this setup is that you don't need multiple pictures and hence the need for still subjects since each camera module takes a quick picture at the same time. Of course, there are other benefits of this setup such as depth-sensing, post-focusing and having multiple zooms on each module. The con is that if any of the units fails then it would most likely render the entire phone unable to take proper pictures.

Last edited:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I think people should stay away from phrases like "DSLR like quality" because thats not going to happen simply because the sensor is so much smaller and the optics are so much smaller too. Noise will be higher and so resolution achievable lower simply due to refraction and photon noise.

Having said that I totally believe that the quality will be very high as it is already today very good.
I'm sure the camera aficionados were all over that line. I have been in that engineering environment and it has some of the most critical QA feedback I have ever seen. It was more intense that feedback from motorcycle enthusiasts.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The best part is when the idiots who fall for that PR see my pictures (shot with a D90 from 2008) and ask me where I got them printed because they came out so much sharper than their iPhone prints.

But then you have people in the photo forum here who insist their iPhone is as good as an SLR and show side-by-side pics under ideal lighting to prove it. When you suggest they try shooting in dimmer light or compare crops so you can really see sharpness at print resolution, they never seem to notice those posts.

you really appreciate what SLR is about when you shoot with fast prime . An Old D90 with nice lenses will never be touched by a phone.

People have seen my portraits shots with a canon 85 1.2 using a 10 year SLR and are gobs smacked.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
meh, new cameras on iPhones never really excite me.. and i never purchase a new phone because it has a better camera.

Yes but it will mean a lot to lots of people. The iPhone is fast replacing dedicated cameras in people's lives. It is like the top 5 cameras on Flickr based on number of uploads over a period of time. Making the iPhone capable of fully replacing a camera, for most people, is big.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
If I see the words "SLR[-like] quality" and "phone" in one sentence one more time...

That some of the biggest PR bull ever and most of the media outlets chime right in.

Glassed Silver:mac

I totally agree. Unless the laws of physics change its inconceivable for a tiny sensor as used in a phone to ever compete with a full frame DSLR sensor.

Perhaps someday a phone will be able to compete with a cheap point and shoot, at best.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
The best part is when the idiots who fall for that PR see my pictures (shot with a D90 from 2008) and ask me where I got them printed because they came out so much sharper than their iPhone prints.

But then you have people in the photo forum here who insist their iPhone is as good as an SLR and show side-by-side pics under ideal lighting to prove it. When you suggest they try shooting in dimmer light or compare crops so you can really see sharpness at print resolution, they never seem to notice those posts.
Though I understand what you mean and I don't think your perspective is wrong per se, but I'm willing to give a pass on that kind of thing. If it gives something that at a glance might be DSLR when the light is good...then that's good enough for me to accept the label. It's likely that at least in my lifetime a DSLR will get you better pictures when it's important. But when it's not important, then close is good enough.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I've "aged-out" on DSLR - trips to Europe now, I just take pictures with the iP6 as a chronicling of the trip and I swap out sim cards for an all-in-one device.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I would have wished that the article used iPhone 6/6s which has horrible noise-reduction processing, the iPhone 5s is actually superior in noise-reduction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.