Dual Channel Memory Config on MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joehack, Jul 8, 2006.

1. joehack macrumors member

To my knowledge, the MacBook supports dual channel memory access if 2 identical modules are installed. I've installed 2 corsair 1GB modules (makes 2gb ram) and I assumed this enables dual channel memory access.

Today I've looked into Apples System Profiler and it showed me 2 entries:

Code:
    DIMM0/BANK 0:

Size:	1 GB
      Type:	DDR2 SDRAM
      Speed:	667 MHz

DIMM1/BANK 1:

Size:	1 GB
      Type:	DDR2 SDRAM
      Speed:	667 MHz

It seems like it does NOT run in dual channel mode. Or am I wrong? :confused: :confused:

Regards,
    Jochen

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

I think it is not shown in system profiler :)

Most likely it is handled somewhere really low level like during bootup in BIOS and is totally transparent to application software.

3. joehack thread starter macrumors member

Whats puzzling for me is the fact, that it shows BANK 0 and BANK 1. With a dual channel configuration, I've expected only a BANK 0.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that you are right generik- none of the RAM in my Power Mac G5 lists as being 'dual-channel' but allow of the RAM modules are most certainly matched pairs. :)

5. joehack thread starter macrumors member

@dmw007: how many memory modules do you have installed? can you send a screenshot from the System Profiler's memory section?

Thanks!

Joche

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

Erm... I am not really sure what you expect system profiler to show for this, but I can assure you that you are wrong with regards to what bank means. Each bank indicated in system profiler actually refers to a physical DIMM slot and it has nothing to do with dual channel or not. Dual channel is more with the signalling timings of the memory modules and they are still.. 2 logical modules

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Mine shows exactly the same (Bank 1/Bank 0) and I installed paired RAM today. I don't think that Bank actually indicates whether its in dual configuration. Though I'm not sure about that.