Dual Channel Ram benefit

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cr2sh, Oct 27, 2005.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    This thread may not prove of much worth around here but I've been wanting to increase the amount of ram I have in my pc... and I have a few questions. If anyone can answer them quantitatively.. I'd be thrilled.

When I built my pc 6months ago I stocked it with corsair some value-select dual channel 512 chips. Priced around $90, it got me a gig and I was happy. Right now though, I've got two more slots... and I'm not quite ready to sink the $220 into a dual channel set of 1GB sticks.

Can anyone point me towards benchmarks that actually show the performance benefit of dual channel memory? If I just grab a single 1GB stick and return the two 512's to single channel mode... will I be pissing away a performance opportunity?

Also, I'll probably be purchasing an x800 for good measure. Top it all off and it should be a lean machine until I get the itching for a dual core chip.

Please, no "this is a mac forum" comments, because in a year we'll all be PC users... the only difference is the OS.

Thanks guys.
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Not necessarily. Apple will be building Intel based Macs and not just shipping generic PCs.

I would go look on a memory vendors website - say Crucial's to find out what the difference types of memory do for you.

Or maybe look it up in the Wikipedia - they have a lot of technical entries.