Dual cinema displays, USB and Firewire ports

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tech4all, Jun 5, 2005.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Just a thought, you know how on the Apple Cinema displays they have 2 USB 2.0 ports and 2 Firewire ports on them? And on the end of the display cable there are 3 ends to it - the DVI, Firewire and USB. That way you can use the built in hub in the display. But how about if you have two cinema displays? Where do you plug in the USB and Firewire cables? Since there are two USB connecters on the back of the Power Mac G5s I assume just take up both USB ports, but how about the Firewire (400) port? There's only 1?

I do have two 20" displays but one of them are the older plastic ones which only has the ADC (I think it's called that) port. So I'm just sorta curious. I looked at some dual 30" displays set up pics, but couldn't see anything like that to answer my question.

2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Firewire hub?

I would say plug it in to the other monitor, but you can't since the actual firewire cord is only like 6 inches, right?

3. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea the 4 ports (2 USB, and 2 Firewire) on the back on the Apple Cinema Displays (not sure if "hub" is the correct term).

At first I thought this as well, but yea those cables only go so far.

4. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

use separate external firewire hub

I think MacFan25863 is suggesting that you use a separate Firewire hub. As opposed to using the ports on the display as a hub.

Linking the firewire ports on the two monitors with a firewire cable doesn't make sense because you are then left with the same number of available firewire ports, two.

So using a separate external firewire hub between the displays and the Mac seems to be the best option.