Dual Core G4 Powerbook - any chance?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HasanDaddy, Jun 7, 2005.

1. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Hey dudes

I'm in the same boat as many people -------- I wanna buy a powerbook, but the idea of a MAJOR update is killing me

basically, here is the two truths we know -

1. The Intel 'books are gonna be awesome, but they won't be available for at least one more year

2. the G5 Powerbook is dead - once Jobs showed the 'G5?' card with a laptop, it just became obvious

as of now, 1.67 ghz looks pretty good ----- however, I'm gonna feel like a REAL DUMMY if they release a dual core G4

Overall ------ I could probably wait until the end of the summer....... but after that, I would have to take the plunge ----- the 1ghz I got is good, but its just not cutting it on Motion and other effects programs

so overall ---- I'm about to buy a 1.67 ------- but Jobs kept saying the stupid line of "plenty of powerpc projects down the pipeline"

so what's the vote here? Will Dual Core G4's be out soon? Or would going with 1.67 ghz be wise?

Sorry for the redundency of the questions - but I really appreciate any insight

2. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

I am kinda in the same boat. But, I think I am going to get mine this weekend, I really want it for this trip I'm going to take on the 15th. So... if today they update the powerbook ya! But, if not, the current powerbook are still really good machines.

3. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah - I'm budgeting out for a major computer purchase this summer, and another one two years from now

I figure, two years from now or more, we'll see a very nice MacTel Powerbook

for now though, the 1.67 ghz might do it --- my bro in law just bought a 15" 1.67 and I was pretty impressed

4. yuy macrumors member

me too

I want dual core g4 rather than g5 book.

but maybe dual core g4 is too big to fit in the powerbook. :eek: