Dual core G5 + Display Purchasing Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by turtlebud, Feb 12, 2006.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    I have a student developer membership that is expiring on April 2nd this year and I'm pretty sure that I'm not going/can't renew (since I'm not taking any classes anymore) and I want to take advantage of the ADC hardware discount before I lose it.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a 2.3GHz dual core powermac and a 20 or 23/24" display (apple or dell). I got a deal on powermac applecare w/ display last year so I already have applecare for the powermac and apple display should I decide to go that route.

1. should I get the dual core + apple display at the same time?
    pros - i already have applecare for the g5 + display so 3 years coverage won't add any additional cost.
    cons - i kind of feel like the acd is outdated and overpriced. i suspect that apple may be coming out with better ones at lower prices at NAB which I would be very interested in.

2. should I get the dual core now and wait on the acd?
    pros - if apple comes out with better displays at NAB, I could probably get a friend to get it for me through the edu store or I could get it through amazon (and save on tax).
    cons - i'd have to purchase applecare for the display separately ($80-100)

3. should I get the dual core now with a dell 24" display?
    pros - dell display already has a 3 year warranty (I think) so I don't need to spend extra money on that. the dell monitor is comparable to the acd in specs.
    cons - apple may come out with better displays at NAB, at which time I'd be kicking myself for not waiting.

4. should I get the dual core now and wait on the display til after NAB?
    pros - I can make an informed decision about the displays depending on what apple does or does not release there
    cons - i'm stuck using my 19" CRT and my sister is stuck using her 14" CRT for the time being (I was going to give her my 19" CRT when I upgraded).
  2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Get the dual core + apple display at the same time.

You know you want to. ;)
  3. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2006
    Findlay, OH
    When you say Dell 24", I'm assuming you mean the 2405FPW. I'd say go this route. The 2405 has all those inputs which could be used for a number of multimedia tasks as well as a computer monitor (think HDTV tuner connected to the component input). Plus like you said, it comes with a 3 year warranty.

I want to get one of these but I don't think my budget will allow it for a while.