Dual Core G5 or intel iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Convoy, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Convoy macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2006
    Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

I've recently sold my G4 mini to a friend, and am going to upgrade my main machine. Currently, I'm using a stock 1.33 ghz iMac. I used to work at a small newspaper, and was able to do the layout, photo retouching, and ad creation on my G4 867 12" Powerbook G4.

I'm still working in publishing, and I have a PeeCee to do the heavy lifting at work, but I need something with oomph at home.

I do some freelance desktop publishing, design, and photo manipulation. I make decent money every month, but its not my bread and butter. I just bought a new Sony camcorder so I can get back into video editing. It's been ages since I've used FCP or Premiere, so I'd need to work my way back into those programs.

I have a 19" CRT and 17" CRT. I eventually want to upgrade to LCDs to use with the new machine.

I'm considering:

1) Refurb 20" intel iMac. I'd boost the ram to 2 GB and buy one of these LCDs to make an extended desktop. The total price of this package would be about $2K.

2)Refurb G5 2.3 DP from Smalldog. I can get one for $2150 shipped. Then, toss in 2 gigs of memory. The cost here would be about $2350-$2400. (I'd need a VGA-Mini-DV adaptor.)

What's the catch?

I have a huge trip coming up in July. The computer needs to be paid off by June 1 so the CC is clear. :) Also, I tend to update machines every 2 years or so. Ideally, in late 2007/early 2008, I'd update this powerbook to an intel. then, the desktop would get updated in late 2008/early 2009.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Being a owner of a 2.3GHz DP Power Mac G5 I would have to recommend that you go with option #2. The Power Mac G5 is faster and more expandable. :)
  3. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I second that. I just got (today) a dual core G5 and it's awesome to say the least. And you can expand it to 16 Gb RAM. Do the G5 tower.
  4. Demoman macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2005
    Issaquah, WA
    I have seen many dual PM's at very good prices ($1600-$1900). E-Bay has some good deals and so do local classified ads. I have a PM 2.0 x 2 that I am typing on right now. I use the entire FCS Suite, Adobe Suite, Macromedia Suite. Sitting right next to it I have a G5 2.5 x 4. It has the same SW configuration. I use either one because both are great machines. The reason I have two is because when I am doing high quality video compression, I can bring 6 processors and 16 GB of RAM to the show. Point is, any deal you can find on a dual G5 is a good deal. Memory upgrades for the older G5's are pretty reasonable too (especially if you see this as a two year-type of investment. The 256M & 512M chips can be found pretty cheap).

In short, I would not hesitate to jump on any PM dual 2.0 or better. I keep my eye out for great deals now, even though I have two. I plan to buy another machine by year's end. Like almost everyone, I am just waiting to see what the Intel quad offering looks like. I also have a Mini and a G4 1.5 Powerbook. I am also going to get a new PB when the 17" is available. Damn I love these machines! It is a good thing they do not come as a suppository.
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I say refurb dual 2.7 Ghz from apple. $2150, same cost as the dual core 2.3, and it will crush either that or the imac.
  6. Convoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 23, 2006
    Apple's out of the 2.7. I thought about grabbing one of those, then tossing an X800T in it this summer. Smalldog also has this deal. 2.5 DP with 4 gigs of ram for $2339.

I wish the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue knew when they were having their refurb sale...:mad: They say it's the last weekend of the month, but when I called today, they weren't sure if that meant this weekend or next weekend.