Dual Core in June. Who's holding out?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacTruck, Apr 6, 2005.

1. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

I think there will be dual core everything in june. G5s with 4 processors and powerbooks with dual core or 2 processors. What do you guys think. Wouldn't that be the great? What about new powerbook designs? Any thoughts? I'm hoping for a new powerbook design, higher rez screen and dual core 1.8ghz or higher with 400mhz bus or higher. GIVE IT TO ME APPLE PLEASE!!!!

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I have a 12" PB 1.33Ghz. Not looking to upgrade for another 4 years, dual-core be damned. It'd be nice, but my PB is more than filling my speed needs.

3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I could happen, it could not. June is still 2 months away and there are no concrete rumours about anything. All we know is that the G4 hasn't really got any more room to go unless they jump to dual core PowerBooks or G5s (and we all know the problems there!)

As for Power Macs, I believe they'll be able to get the 3GHz chip finally in there - June at WWDC seems like a good time to do it.

4. shake macrumors regular

if apple comes out with a dual core G5 dual (i'm still not sure how to say it, but essentially a quad), then i'm getting one. my dual g4 with 133 mhz bus would be a snail in comparison. so yes, i'm holding out.

5. liquidtrance123 macrumors member

I've got my eye on the Dual 2Ghz G5 and i'm just waiting for the prices to go down quite a bit before i jump on one. :D

6. wide macrumors 6502a

haha I'm holding out still late this summer, before school starts. I'm looking for a newer design (although that's not the most important), better graphics (hopefully the X650(??)mobile, new kind of processor at 1.8 GHz+ (so it beats my Pentium-M from August '03), higher res (that is a must), and wireless firewire ports that work with the secret hidden wireless firewire port in the ipod :D

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm getting the next model G5, regardless of what's in it :)

9. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Don't hold your breath. The machine I have does everything I want very nicely. Won't be seeing myself getting another one until this craps out on me or becomes woefully outdated.

10. gregoryp macrumors newbie

Dual G4?

Would Apple be able to fit two of the new 90nm G4 chips in a Powerbook or Mac Mini, or would they have to totally redesign the board? The new Freescale 7448 is starting to appear on other computer hardware and is pin for pin compatible with previous G4's.

G5's, let alone dual G5's would run a bit hot don't you think?

11. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I would like a SP dualcore PM.......that would be affordable and fast :rolleyes:

12. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I just saw a funny news report on CNBC that cracked me up, and I thought this would be the right thread to mention it in. they were talking about a company called Micro cell or something like that being a head of making a new kind of computer chip that is basically like two chips in one, so I'm not an idiot, I'm like it's a dual core... Then they said the advantage of this kind of chip would be you could watch TV using one of the chips, and scan for viruses on the other. I found that to be hilarious that that is one of the reasons to go dual core for windows users. Like turn your tv on, and buy a mac, problem solved. This is another reason why dual core for the mac will be unbelievable.

13. ja0912 macrumors member

"AMD will announce at an event on April 21 in New York that the first dual-core Opteron processors are available, months ahead of schedule, sources familiar with the situation said." -Cnet

If Apple is even remotely ready with dual-core hardware... we'll hear about it relatively soon something tells me. Even if it takes them forever to ship something.

14. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I agree wiith an earlier post..

So much that I just bought a new G5.. I am never Bleeding edge, so I don't care if my comptuer gets out of date the second after I buy it ;)

15. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I just googled for present availability of the 7448-- and it was inconclusive. Read THIS LINK, for example-- it says "Pending availability of the Freescale 7448 PowerPC processor later in 2005, the PowerPact3 IMP2A will ship with the 1.1 GHz Freescale 7447A processor." Are you aware that the 7448 is actually appearing, or is it just getting name-dropped?

16. gregoryp macrumors newbie

New G4 Processor

I've seen two examples of the new 7448 being used. In one case you have the choice of the 7447A or the 7448. In the example below, they offer the 7448.

http://www.cwcembedded.com/products/0/2/315.html

This device is for Digital Signal Processing, not your standard computer. Combines four G4 chips into a type of super computer. Only $15,000 if you want one! Four Mac Minis would be cheaper by a long ways.

Still no sign of the MPC8641 single or dual core. Might it be geared toward another use, like cell phones?

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'll be in the in the market for an iBook this fall, but the iBook won't be getting dual core CPUs for awhile so <shrug> I'm not too excited. Heck, if they offer widescreen displays as rumored I'll be much more excited.

18. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

To take full advantage of the 7448, you would have to upgrade the mobo to include a 200mhz MPX bus instead of the current 167mhz. If indeed Apple did introduce the 7448 with a 200mhz bus, it would probably mean that the ibooks and mac minis of the world would have a G4 in it for a few more iterations.

Dual-core seems to be the logical next step for Power Macs. Apple's been holding out for a while on the PMs--I say it's because they're doing something new and impressive. I'm hoping for a dual-core 3.0 ghz. Only 20% increase in ghz, but with the bigger cache and other features, we should get a pretty good boost.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that is a very wise decision. Apple should have the bugs fixed, such as heat, fans, and electrical problems.

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Definitely my next PM purchase will be at least a 2.0Ghz dual-core dual G5. I have a dual G5 1.8 right now, and it's getting slower and slower. I think I might need to up my RAM to 3GB before I do a complete computer upgrade.

21. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've never heard anyone say their Mac got slower over time. I know that Windows machines do though... You sure it's not just in your head? I'm running a Dual 2Ghz G5 Power Mac with 1GB RAM and it's just as fast today as the day I bought it - almost 18 months ago :p

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have a 4 1/2 year old G4 450. So I'm the one with a slow machine, that needs replacement. Just waiting to see what comes out over the next six months.

23. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I think I need more RAM. When I have FCP, After Effects, Safari, Compressor, Photoshop and Azureus open, it takes my machine several seconds to switch programs.

24. Panther macrumors member

I'm waiting for one of the new dual-core G5s to replace my trusty dual 1.25GHz PowerMac ...

My only concern is that while the G5 single-core may move to 3GHz, if the new Intel dual-core Pentiums are anything to go by, the 970MP will not match the top speed of the single-core because of heat dissipation issue.

Of course, I would love for Apple to prove me wrong ... whats not to love about a system with 4 3GHz CPU cores :D

25. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Gotcha beat ... G4 400 LOL

i really need something faster --- i'm noticing it's getting buggy -- i think hard drives might be going which would be wierd since i added another hard drive and use that as the main one a year ago -- i think it's just starting to show it's had enough abuse.

i'm getting a laptop in September -- dual core or not