Dual Core PB Before Dual Core G5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by maxvamp, Aug 18, 2004.

1. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

FreeScale to announce Dual core G4

Looks like Freescale is going after AMD with a Dual Core G4 that has on board memory controller and GBit ethernet. They also have a 64-bit in the works, but that is old news..

Max.

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I think this makes more sense than trying to cram a G5 in there. Some people on this forum get so impatient with not having "a G5" in a laptop. Dual core could help cooling and extend speeds past the current line up.

3. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

G4's do not compare preformance-wise to AMD. They're much slower (but don't generate nearly as much heat). I don't see how a dual core G4 would beat a dual core AMD. But this will be good for powerbook shoppers. Perhaps this will put power back into the powerbook.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

actually in the beginning it going to depend a lot more of the software developers to take advantage of the dual core chips. I bet considering the thier different pipes, G4 and the AMD and the greater x86 line will have better benchmarks in different areas. i.e. video encoding, audio encoding, gaming, photoshop etc. Like now, I believe each processor line with have their own advantage for specific application like it is today.