Dual core pentium!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jon'sLightBulbs, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    Does anyone know the speed increase or advantage of a dual core pentium (pentium D) over a single core Pentium 4? I've heard about lack of software optimization for the dual core leading to lower than expected gains (whatever that means.)

Also, can someone tell me what PC graphics card I should be looking for these days? The last time I checked, the Radeon 9800pro was tops. Things change so quickly. How about a Geforce 6600?

This computer's main purpose will be gaming (I'm a resolution and frame rate whore!), video editing, and watching/recording TV.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    In general, a Pentium D might show a nice boost over a Pentium 4, but for many games a high end Pentium 4 may actually perform better than a Pentium D
  3. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    For info on the dual core Pentium IVs I'd suggest checking out Anandtech or Tom's Hardware, as for the video card the 6600 is a POS check out the nVIDIA 7800 GT or GTX.
  4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    You should see significant improvement if the Penitum D supports hyperthreading (in theory giving you close to the same performance on certain tasks as if you had 4 Pentium IV processors). However, as of now only the Pentium D Extreme Edition supports HT and it's very expensive.

Check out www.tomshardware.com for speed tests.
  5. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Games....if you have to have Intel........P4 3.8 will be the best..since all games are single threaded but AMD FX-57 is the ultimate:p
  6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I'd go with AMD all the way - the P4 3.7GHZ dissipates enough heat to melt the icecaps, and the Athlon FX-57 matches or beats it in pretty much every major game. The P4 wins with video rendering/Photoshop though.

Best Vid cards currently are the nVidia 7800GTX or ATI X1800XT.
  7. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I was doing some price tracking a few months back. just seeing what the best computer would cost. remember seeing some Pentium for £700 that was owning the computer speed world. but thats £700... heh.

My brand set up would be Intel (ive always had a love for the Intel mobo), ATI and Corsair memory. Dell monitor. JBL speakers.
    would be nice :)
  8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    That P4 for £700 is the P4EE (extreme edition), but it is actually slower than a £100 chip from AMD in somethings (like games).

Going to Intel over AMD is a bit like choosing a G4 over a G5 at the moment, plus AMD is cheaper so there really isn't any reason to go Intel other than brand loyalty.

Intel is only good in the low power/portable market (which are the chips Apple is going to use first).
  9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    It just shows how good the Pentium M is and how horrible the Pentium 4 is - even at insane clock speeds the P4 is only just able to to meet or beat the performance of AMD's 1GHz slower desktop chips in games, though the gap is wider elsewhere. Yet the Pentium M and derivative chips are pretty competitive clock for clock, besides the dual core potential. And they won't contribute to global warming.

The P4EE is really expensive, especially when you factor in the cost of the cooling solution required. Even if you aren't planning on an overclock. If so, two words: Liquid Nitrogen.:rolleyes:
  10. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Replace the Athlon FX with a dual core Athlon X2, and you'll have great video editing and Photoshop performance too. The games won't suffer too much (still much better than the P-D's gaming performance).