Dual Core Powerbooks ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by the_insider, Apr 20, 2005.

1. the_insider macrumors regular

the_insider

Hi guys, this is my first post. I am saving up to buy a new powerbook laptop. I finally got enough money, and everybody is talking about g5 powerbooks or dual core g4's. I think a dual core g4 would be even better than a first rev g5 powerbook. Anyways, could i get a little backround about the whole dual core thing, and if you think it would come out buy mid july. Thanks guys.

2. capone2 macrumors regular

DC PB's would be great much better than G5! They exist, whether Apple is using them is another thing! I have this feeling we will go to G5 direct!

But wouldn't it be great !! I have a strong feeling the new PB's will be out end of this year.

3. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Not going to happen...maybe 2006

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

My gut feeling says there's no way they will be out by the end of the summer, but with recent news on the update front I wouldn't rule it out a 100%. With Tiger being recently released and rumored updates to pretty much every line, it makes me wonder if there is a possibility for it at WWDC in early June. The keynote for WWDC has typically been 2 hours long, and with that time frame they must have something big to talk about. Even if they talk about updated iPods, iMacs, eMacs, etc. there would excess time. Maybe it will just be Dual Core Power Macs and Steve will go on about them for an hour but the small chance of updated Powerbooks is there. By that time the Powerbooks will also be approaching their average update time but that doesn't mean anything considering the current time it has been since the Power Macs have been updated. With all that being said, if you need the Laptop anytime soon then you should buy now and enjoy it.

5. wide macrumors 6502a

I think that we are going to see new PowerBooks by the end of the summer, too. but if you really want a powerbook, soon, buy it now. september might come, and there will not be a powerbook update. you could wait until then just to see, but if there are no updates then you will either have to keep waiting or you will haveto buy a computer that you know will be updated in less than three months.

6. Electric Monk macrumors member

The next probable update to the Powerbook line is the Motorola G4e 7448 chip. It has a 200 MHz FSB (33 MHz faster then the current 7447b) and 1.8 GHz+ speeds (133 MHz faster then current).

After that either a low power G5 or a modified e600 (667 MHz FSB, 1.8 GHz+, Rapid I/O, System Controller on die, single or dual cores).

The 7448 is currently sampling/possibly in production.

The e600 is sampling in the second half of the year with production in 2006.

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

New PBs no time soon. As for dual core...I suggest to you that PMs are the focus for performance at the moment. If they get dual core then lower clocked G5 PBs may follow...

8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I wouldn't be surprised to see new PBs by the time fall arrives...getting them to incoming college kids. Thats kinda how it work with my rev a PB, it was a new thing when I got it that summer.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Apple actually just announced today that they are not updating any products until Longhorn is released. :rolleyes:

But hey, I put a hundred bucks into the bank every month for a new PowerMac G5 and 23" display. The longer they wait, the better machine I get. :D

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You could wait and buy the next round of PB updates regardless if they come out with G5s or dual cores. Playing the waiting game is just an exercise in frustration.

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i'm getting a powerbook in september myself

i would love to get a machine that can handle 64 bit but -- whatever is available at the time is what i'm going to be getting

dual core would be nice -- something that could handle the FINAL CUT STUDIO in all it's glory

oh well