Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hitchhiker

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2004
The G-Series naming sytem is definitely getting too old. Sure, it makes some sense. But I think after the G6, apple should look for some other way to name their subsequent chip and powermac designs. Perhaps changing the first letter would help- "PowerMac X7" sounds much more advanced and interesting than staying with the G system for years to come.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Antares

Maybe they'll just keep the name Antares. Had to refresh my memory, I knew I remembered the name from sometime years ago when I used to know my astronomy. From Dictionary.com:

"A giant red binary star, the brightest in the constellation Scorpio, about 424 light-years from Earth."

--Dave

cslewis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2004
40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
jettredmont said:
And this BS statistic came from where?

In my experience, while indeed it is likely that 70% of all home PCs are used for (among other things) games, it is incorrect to say that 70% of all PCs are sold for gaming. You miss:

1) Corporate PCs. I can guarantee that these aren't bought for games, and indeed the fact that they can be used to play games is often a negative factor (corps tend to opt for smaller disks and less-powerful video cards for just this reason, even if said options actually cost *more* than the stock machine would).

2) While 70% of home PCs are used to play games on occasion, a good fraction of those are "puzzle" games (the dominant genre of computer games amongst women), "strategy" games, or "popular" games. Puzzle games exist in droves for the Mac; most strategy games are ported over fairly quickly, and "popular" games are tending more towards near-simultaneous release. The ones that never get the Mac lovin' are the second-string FPS games, and the knockoffs of previous hits. Granted, there are notable exceptions, but the trend is fairly clear.

3) While 70% of all PCs might play games, it is a purchase-determining factor in only a small percentage of those. Face it: a $200 Playstation/GameCube/XBox investment will tend to provide a much better gaming experience for most people out there than the extra $500 you spend on a PC to make it the biggest baddest gaming albatross on the street.

Gamers are a vocal and young bunch, which tends to keep this "games are the lifeblood of any computer" meme alive and kicking despite complete lack of reason or evidence in support. That doesn't make it true.

Didn't you read the response to the post on the third page? 70% OF HOME COMPUTERS ARE USED TO PLAY GAMES FOR MORE THAN THREE HOURS PER DAY.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Dave00 said:
Maybe they'll just keep the name Antares. Had to refresh my memory, I knew I remembered the name from sometime years ago when I used to know my astronomy. From Dictionary.com:

"A giant red binary star, the brightest in the constellation Scorpio, about 424 light-years from Earth."

--Dave

They can't http://www.antarestech.com audio company but close enough to computers to cause problems with that name.

afields

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
Will there be a g5 update between now and when the dual core is released? Hmmm. I wonder if this an off shoot of that crazy "quad" rumor from macosrumors.com

cslewis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2004
40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
Dave00 said:

--Dave

Sounds cool :p

Kelvin

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2004
SFBA, CA
The most obvious use for a dual-core (single FSB) 970 would be the powerbook. Less power consumption than 2 FSBs, smaller package to cram into the thin enclosure. Easier cooling since you only have to pump heat off of one package. I know powerbook g5 rumors are really old by now, but seriously, it makes sense logically. I'm willing to bet that a 970MP has lower power consumption also simply because IBM has a few chips behind their belt at this point.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
afields said:
Will there be a g5 update between now and when the dual core is released? Hmmm. I wonder if this an off shoot of that crazy "quad" rumor from macosrumors.com
Probably... or a new source/angle on it.

Can't count out the XBox either.

Though IBM finally did publish some Maximum Power Dissipation specs for the original PPC970 -- done on a rev A DP 2.0GHz PowerMac G5. ;)

Of course these numbers back up IBMs claim that it dissipates less Watts than Apple says it does, and some have pointed out that IBM did there test using an Integer spec suite -- neglecting the Altivec and FP units, which could boost the power dissipation into the range Apple was stating (for the FX).

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
mac_head101 said:
Didn't you read the response to the post on the third page? 70% OF HOME COMPUTERS ARE USED TO PLAY GAMES FOR MORE THAN THREE HOURS PER DAY.

Just because 70% of computers play games, does not mean that they were bought for the sole purpose of playing games. I know mine wasn't, but I still play games on it.

P-Worm

jeffbax

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2004
Ugh...

Game consoles do not provide a better gaming experience than a PC dammit!

Its the worst Mac cop-out ever!

Games are what keep me locked to PC, thats for sure.

One day my precious...

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
nuckinfutz said:
I happen to think both rumors are fine. I do think Apple will be utilizing SMT in a future Powermac that ships during Tiger's reign. I also believe dual core is the way as well. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Tiger is enhanced to support SMP systems better. Whether that comes from SMT enabled CPU or dual core is irrelevant.

Let's not forget about the Xserve. Perhaps Apple is laying the ground work multicore servers. Apples seems to really want to get a foothold in the server market.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Kelvin said:
The most obvious use for a dual-core (single FSB) 970 would be the powerbook. Less power consumption than 2 FSBs, smaller package to cram into the thin enclosure. Easier cooling since you only have to pump heat off of one package. I know powerbook g5 rumors are really old by now, but seriously, it makes sense logically. I'm willing to bet that a 970MP has lower power consumption also simply because IBM has a few chips behind their belt at this point.

Why would a dual core processor make more sense for a powerbook than a single core processor like we have now? It seems much more likely to me that a single core processor will end up in the powerbook first, even if this dual core rumor pans out to be true and available by the time a G5 powerbook shows up.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
mac_head101 said:

Correct, I missed your later clarification on home vs business PCs. My apologies. Now please stop shouting.

Please provide a link to that Janus survey. I can't find it anywhere. In the meantime, a few more notes on surveys:

1) Just because some organization comes up with a statistic doesn't mean it is valid.

2) Anecdotal evidence isn't much better, but my experience completely differs from "70% of home computers playing games for more than three hours per day". I know of no one who is not currently in college on their parents' dime who has this kind of time or who would spend it playing computer games. Frankly, as I said before, the folks I know who play video games of any sort for more than a couple of hours per week invested in dedicated gaming hardware. The only cases I can see where a single computer gets that kind of gaming use is when it is used by several children in the family for games (in which case the assertion that games drive computer sales for 70% of the market is obviously incorrect).

3) Battling surveys. Here's a Pew survey which found, among other things, "Seventy percent (70%) of college students reported playing video, computer or online games at least once in a while." If only 70% report of college students report playing games once in a while, even if you were to stretch "once in a while" out to 3+ hours per day because said college students wanted to appear more studious on their anonymous surveys, that leaves the rest of the computer-owning world at a much lower game-play rate; it leaves it mathematically unlikely for the overall average to come out with 70% of the computers getting 3 hours of Doom3-loving per night. http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/93/report_display.asp

4) Battling surveys 2. This one's much older, but from the Interactive Digital Software Association, which would tend to skew the results towards more than actual usage. http://www.idsa.com/consumersurvey2001.html Again, this is from 2001, but at that time the IDSA found that amongst households with computers and consoles, "the typical family uses its console or computer to play games for an average of 10 to 11 hours per week, up about one hour over last year’s figures." This shows a much lower rate than 3-hours-per-day, and also notes that on average the gaming is done by 4.5 individuals (two console players and 2.5 computer players). Assuming 1.5 computers/consoles per household (a conservative estimate), and half of the reported time being spent on computers instead of consoles, that leaves about four hours per week per computer; remember that that's not calculated in the study, so it's not necessarily accurate, but it gives an idea of how those number compare to your purported numbers. Even leaving that entire 11 hours per week on computers and assuming that this is one computer in the house where the gaming is going on, three years later you're claiming 70% of computers spend more than 21 hours per week on games, which would put the "average" at a significantly higher number. Where did the typical family pull an extra 10 hours per week of game playing from?

Again, please provide a link if you have one. That statistic just doesn't look anywhere near right. Either their methodology was screwed up, or you're reading their results wrong.

If this this IS true, then HOLY MOSES ON A CRUTCH! But then again I don't trust ThinkSecret. Look at the July 14th headline, it gets the new iPods totally wrong. And I think they were also saying that the new iPods wouldn't be coming until August or September.

A rumor is a rumor, until it hits the stores. :D

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
carletonmusic said:
news is singular, so it is "this" news....There are a slew of native speakers

slew is singular, too......so that would be "There is a slew...."

If you're gonna correct people........

:D

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
jouster said:
slew is singular, too......so that would be "There is a slew...."

If you're gonna correct people........

:D

Well done!! That is one that has almost become vernacular in both forms - but you are very right! Thanks for keeping me honest! :p

another common one is "there are a group of people outside"

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
This new rumor seems to be real exciting. I would like to see the G6 name used. It would also seem that is the same recommendation occurs, then would have to wait for Rev. B. That would be really tough to wait for another year.

hassanpr

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2004
ship my ish

they cant even ship my dual 2.5. It had a ship date of july 30th and just a couple of days ago it was pushed august 9th. What the hell is going on.

hassanpr said:
they cant even ship my dual 2.5. It had a ship date of july 30th and just a couple of days ago it was pushed august 9th. What the hell is going on.

Apple gives academic institutions more precedence then regular customers. This is nothing new. That's probably why they moved the the ship date back, they've been slammed with orders from schools and universities.

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
~Shard~ said:
Even if Apple implements this chip "sometime in 2005" I doubt they will brand it as a G6. The G5 hasn't been out for that long relatively, even when next year rolls around, and I don't think a processor change like this would really warrant a name change like that. Save the "G6" moniker for something truly big - maybe "The G6 in '06"... :cool:

Pretty soon, around 2005, it will have been around about as long as the G4.. and remember, that G5 has had production problems. So if we hadn;t had any problems, it would have gone through many different revisions. The G6 would be a great thing to roll out next year... paving the way for all of the Mac lineup to become 64-bit, and not having any more G4. They should be scrapping the G3 completely by now, and they can't do that until they drop the G4 totally as well, due to bit limitations.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
It seem we are only talking about processor power consumption, and inclusions like the cache. Did anyone stop to think about the speeds of the processors? With the altivec engine, and Single core, this WILL be an amazingly fast computer. When this comes out, I may have to sell my PowerBook, and look at a Dual Core, Dual Processor G6(If Pontiac doesn't copyright it) we may well see it come to fruition.

Tilan

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2004
Cranbrook, BC
Maybe they'll call it the G5.2.

It would make sense since it is still a 970, dual core, and the third version of the chip (the original and then the 90nm version).

hassanpr

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2004
joeboy_45101 said:
Apple gives academic institutions more precedence then regular customers. This is nothing new. That's probably why they moved the the ship date back, they've been slammed with orders from schools and universities.

I did order it through my job its the Board Of Education In my city so whats there excuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.