Dual Core?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by darwen, Apr 16, 2005.

1. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Can someone please clear this up for me? I understand how a dual processor works. What is a Dual Core? It a Dual Core, Dual Processor like 4 processors? I am lost.

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

Ok your processor has A core.. meaning 1 core. .. every processor you get now has one core in it. it's then packaged so you get cache, core, pins, etc.. as you see in most processors.

dual core takes 2 cores.. essentially the brains of 2 processors and puts them on one processor.. similar to dual processor setup, but the share cache and data info allowing them a bit of fun stuff when it comes to bottleneck issues present in dual processor systems.

so a dual processor system with dual core processors would in effect be kinda a 4 processor system. 2 cores per processor, or 4 processors...

just realize that you probably won't have dual processor dual core systems ... you'll have them in the highest end powermac and highest end xserve first.. and then trickle down from there.. so it'll cost you.. but you'll have a very very powerful system.