dual core

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zoran, Oct 7, 2005.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Ok so the rumor is that oct12 new dual core G5 will be presented, but how long will it take them to be on market after that supposed announcement?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

3. Bear macrumors G3

That depends on what you mean by "on the market". I'm sure they will be orderable right away. Depending on what dual core configurations they announce some might even be shipped right away, but other than the initial shipment to stores, it could take a few weeks to get a BTO of the high end unit.

Roll some dice. Consult yor magic 8-ball. They'll have just as good an answer as anybody else until new machines are available for ordering.

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

human8ball.com

Attached Files:

• dog.png
      dog.png
      File size:
      120.6 KB
      Views:
  5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Perhaps we could estimate if we check on other similar situations in the past of "just about" to be released products
    i oughtta give more credit to my self, it seems i give the answers by my self
    :D

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

need for speed anyone?

dual core dual processor PM G5... my head hurts... too much power!!!

really... 2 x 2 x 2.27... ~10.8GHz.

they would have to have some kind of very special cooling system in that. I doubt even their current liquid cooling would cope with it. engineers rule :p

7. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    That get's my nomination for Post Of The Day™

Thanking you :D

8. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, it's liable to be a dual dual 2.5GHz. (Unless IBM has an unannounced faster 970MP available.) As for cooling, it shouldn't be any warmer than the current 2.7GHz PowerMac.

And as for how much processing power, some people can make use of that. Especially for video rendering. Did you know it's possible to overwork a PowerMac such that iTunes has problems playing music continuously?

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You're welcome :D

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

ive only had that problem when:

Running compressor - encoding MPEG2 from HDTV material
    Azureus dling 10 torrents
    Firefox
    iChatting
    itunes listening
    unRaring a few files
    burning a DVD with Toast
    and then I open a movie file to look at it, and the music skips sometimes. Very rarely.

I find its only when the "indexing" background process is running.

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

ive only had that problem when:

Running compressor - encoding MPEG2 from HDTV material
    Azureus dling 10 torrents
    Firefox
    iChatting
    itunes listening
    unRaring a few files
    burning a DVD with Toast
    and then I open a movie file to look at it, and the music skips sometimes. Very rarely.

I find its only when the "indexing" background process is running.

With my dual cpus, I know I dont get any "beachball of death" because OSX handles everything well. But sometimes I want to be doing a little more and know I am taxing my system too much. With "quad" cpus, I could.

12. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Could one swap the boot drives when upgrading?

Let's assume that they come out with dual core G5s next week. How possible would it be for someone upgrading from a dual 2.5 to a dual core 2.x to simply swap the boot drives between the old and new machine to avoid reinstalling everything on the new machine? Assuming the person's current dual 2.5 is running 10.4.2...

13. Bear macrumors G3

It probably wouldn't work. The odds are the new mahcines will require something a bit newer than 10.4.2 to work.. And even if it was the right version, you might be missing a piece of required software.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The speculation is still fun. Just won't know for sure until Steve makes the announcement on the 12th. Usually they are available the same day, it will be the actual shipping and delivery that's important.

15. revisionA macrumors 6502

Actually the heat dissipation would not be double a 2.7 (or 2.27), because a dual core is a larger die, but the thermal properties are always related directly to power requirements, and clock speed. I think it would be more like 133% to 150% of a standard dual.

best analogy is the difference between Hyperthreading and Dual core, and the fact that Pentium 4 and Pentium D chips run in similar cooling environments but with a slight increase in power consumption.

$

$

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

In theory. The actual increase in "processing power" is unlikely to linear.

Still for multiprocessor aware apps, there would be an incredible increase in power.

17. robcts macrumors regular

Hopefully soon. I've been wanting to get a PM but am waiting for the Oct. 12 announcement.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

IIRC the Dual 2.5 experienced a lot of shipping delays, while the 2.7 did not. So it's anyone's guess how smooth things will go.