Dual CRT -> Dual LCD Screens... worth it?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by arn, Jan 19, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey all...

Has anyone recently made the switch from CRT's to LCD's... how's it been?

Right now, I've got a dual monitor setup... 21" Trinitron and 19" Trinitron.

1600x1200
    and
    1280x1024

I'm also about to move to a new apt... and the current space required by such a setup is not negligable. I had considered moving to LCD screens... but it would require replacing _both_ of my screens.... and a brief look at Apple's 22 or 23" options would birng such a switch up to $7000 (ouch!).

I dismised this as a possibility... but then I saw that you could get non-Apple LCD's relatively inexpesively...

I saw a recent rebate on Dell 17" LCD's for about $400 each. So $800 to replace my system with dual 1280x1024 screens. It would be a drop in rez on the one monitor... but space savings and convenience might outweight it. $800 is certainly more doable- but still a bit extravagent for no added functionality... just more appealing looks.

Anyone done such a switch? Or would this be a total waste of money? :)

arn

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've done something similar at work, switching from a 19" Trinitron to an Apple 17" and a Dell 15".

For me it was worth it for the added clarity of text, and lack of flicker...of course I didn't have to pay for it. ;)

I'm sure you're familiar with all the arguments for LCDs other than the clarity issue: energy consumption, heat dispersion, size and weight.

The arguments against only hold for certain uses, and I don't know if you're that big of a gamer or if color representation is crucial for you either.

Personally, I'm never buying another CRT, and the prices keep coming down. :)

3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

All I can say is that I love my LCD (Viewsonic VX900, $809@pcconnection.com) and I plan on buying two more!

Note: Apple Displays are definately not worth it! If you want really high resolution go with the Formac 2017.

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Dell

Yeah, I think its worth it....

But, you might want to check out the 19" Dell LCD. Its like 150 dollars more, and its 2 inches larger.

Or, I hear ViewSonic has the best LCDs around.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

depends on how much space you have. i use a apple 17 and 22 inch flat panel at work, and at home i use a apple 17 and 21 inch crt. the crt's are much more crisp looking plus with higher resolutions. i plan on getting a apple 19 inch if one does come out. i like the look of apple's lcd but beware, crt's are much better looking at the time. most people dont care that much unless they are graphic professionals.

iJon

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I just went to B&H Photo and Video in NYC, and saw the Formac 17.4" LCD next to a Mitsubichi Diamondtron 21" CRT. I truly could not tell the difference between the two (other than the LCD being slightly smaller). The brightness of the Formac was incredible, with absolutely no flicker of course, and 1280x1024 resolution, at only $699.

If the Formac 17.4" display was that good, I can't wait to see what the Formac 20" LCD looks like at 1600x1200, and it's only $1699. Compare that with Apple's 22" at $2499 with only 1600x1024. To me, it's no contest. The second I can get my hands on it, that Formac 17.4" is MINE!!!

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

me have seven cinema hd displays. i think they're worth it because 1. I'm supporting apple by buying one of their products 2. formac lcd's in my opinion do not look as good as a cinema display 3. I have something designed by Jonathan Ive, my idol, on my desk and 4. the switch is worth it. However, the difference between a CRT and an LCD is so great that for programming I use the LCD's and for graphics and stuff I use the CRT's because I find it more easier to calibrate it.

There's a reason why Apple's 22" cinema display's resolution is 1600x1024 (widescreen). If it was 1600x1200 it would look like crap.

8. vniow macrumors G4

Okay, let me get this straight.

Your 14, in college, have 7 Apple Cinema displays, a dual 1.25 ghz Powermac, 17" iMac, iBook and a Tibook?

Have you even seen the specs for the Formacs or seen them in person? They beat Apple's all to hell even if they're not widescreen.

But back on topic...

I think that LCDs are overrated. The quality is no doubt better for most things (color calibration is not one) but until they come down in price (or affer more rebates like Dell) then I would stick with good CRTs for cost reasons, but since you're moving to a space that may not allow you to keep your current CRT setup, that is a great deal on those flat panels and I would not pass it up, especially if you're going for space savings.

Plus, if you can afford 3 for $1200, then go for it.[​IMG]

9. DavidFDM macrumors regular

I had dual Hitachi/RasterOps CRTs, First a 21"/17" combo then the 21"/19" combo. They were all very nice but moving them was a pain and they dominated my desk. I had no room for my calculator, swatch books, etc. Plus, they attract a lot of dust and eat a lot of electricity. I have dual 17" Apple Studio Displays I bought on eBay for around $700 each and have been extremely happy. One is on my GeForce 3 card via the ADC the other is on the basic Radeon card with an ADC to DVI connector. Works flawlessly. If you have a relatively normal sized desk and you value it, go with the LCDs.

10. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Thanks for the input guys... sounds like the lure of the dual LCD's is not simply me being greedy... :)

Anyhow... I'm going to keep an eye on it.

The CRT's could move to the new place... I'm just very aware of my lack of desk space and my keyboard is practically falling off my desk as it is.

I'm going to watch... and see what Apple has to offer in this realm. LCD updates must be coming... with the 15" LCD's droppage last year.

Unless a particuarly tempting rebate offer comes along, I might see if I can jump on an Apple introduction of products (which usually have a good value when they are introduced... but not so much late in their lives).

My main hesitation with moving to the current inexpensive LCDis I value both size and resolution. 17" LCD's bring me 1280x1024 rez... but it appears you have to jump to at least 20" and more to get higher native resolutions... and this costs $$$. Such as the Formac - $1699. I can't justify 2 x $1699 - no matter how kick-ass it would be. :)

arn

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hmmm, i'm also looking at the viewsonic lcds although id lie kto spend less tha 500 for 17in. Arn why don't u make this a poll? and find out what kind of lcd everyone uses. Kwyjibo

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Its my experience that any LCD that costs less than $700 isnt worth getting... and to get one that cheap you need to be careful abuot which you choose.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i would assume new lcd's would come out in the weeks to come since its everything is overdue for upgrades. it only makes sense for apple to have new monitors soon. if they dont they are making a big mistake by only having two lcd's which are both 1000 dollars or more. i would guess new lcd's with powermacs, just my guess though.

iJon

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

I have seen the formac LCD's in person and they honestly suck.

I am 14, in college, have 7 Apple Cinema HD displays (it's not some crappy 22 inch dealie), 5 dual 1.25 ghz Powermacs, 2 17" iMacs, 1 iBook, 1 TiBook and hopefully by the end of February one 17" PB.

Do you have a problem with that?

<edit>
    Did I neglect to mention the fact that out of the computers listed up there I only personally purchased with my own money one power mac g4, one iBook, one TiBook, one cinema display, and the 17" pb?
    </edit>

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Really? How so?

Every comparison I've read (professional product reviewers) puts the Formacs above Apple's displays. Formac certainly appears to be better on paper, too, considering specs, etc.

You should feel very lucky to have that much apple gear. What do you do with all of it?

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im sure you will prove me wrong, but does anyone else have a hard time believing this, 14 in college, or 14 taking college classes, there is a difference. plus all that apple stuff.

iJon

17. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Actually iJon, they have four LCD,s 15" 17" 22" & 23". Although they may have discontinued the 15" but I haven't checked. The 15" and 17" are way under $1000.

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

I'm supposedly "rich" b/c my relatives are multimillionaires and i help them out with their computer problems.

Not taking college classes *RIGHT NOW*. Did last semester. Stuck in middle school until I have a better excuse to get into the EEP (calstatela.com/eep).

I love Apple. I have tons of Apple gear. Do you have a problem with it? Do you want some of it?

19. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

übergeek, are they yours personally or do they belong to the college? Personally I'd swap my dual 1ghz DDR for 5 Dual 1.25's anyday! heh :p

20. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The 15" is listed in the displays pages, but it's not listed in the store section, and hasn't been for months now.

The 17" is $999, technically under $1000, but that's splitting hairs.

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ok ok sorry, the 17 is 1 dollar under a thousand, my bad, thanks for the correction. i was counting the 15 inch because it is discontinued, you CANT get it anymore. i could go way back and say a lot of the apple lcds are less than a thousand. the point of my post was that apple has "3" lcd's for sale. all of them are 1000 or more.

iJon

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

The computers I own are personally mine. Then once in a while I borrow some (if I have some party or something) from my neighbors.

Then the PC's are something totally different.
    But since you guys here are all like apple freaks i won't go into it.

I just don't like the LOOK of the formac lcd's.

23. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I like the apple LCD's as I have one :). I didn't realise the 17" was $999, sorry didn't occur to me as I got mine in pound sterling for £648 i think with edu discount and the DUal Display offer when I got my machine.

24. vniow macrumors G4

No offence meant, it all just seemed a bit hard to believe.