Dual Disc CD's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by saga, Nov 26, 2006.

1. saga macrumors regular

Anyone notice any problems using the superdrive on their macbooks, or MBP's with DualDiscs. I think they are thicker. My macbook seems to be having difficulty importing them.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That is correct...DualDiscs are 1.5 mm thick, while CDs are 1.2 mm thick. This causes problems with DualDiscs and slot-loading drives, so it is not recommended to use them together.

The "CD" side of the disc does not meet the Red Book specifications for a CD, so you'll notice that the packaging does not carry a "CD" logo and should contain a warning that it may not work in all players. In order to utilize DVD and "CD" sides on one disc, the "CD" side must be thinner than a regular CD. Consequently, not all drives are able to read the data on it.

3. saga thread starter macrumors regular

man that sucks. I think that is will work in my emac. Would it matter if it was a dual layer superdrive?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It doesn't really matter in some respects, as dual layer DVDs are 1.2 mm thick like CDs, so you'd still have slot-loading thickness issues. But if you can get it in the slot, that drive might have better luck reading it. I'm not sure I'd try it though.

5. saga thread starter macrumors regular

I can get it into the drive on my macbook, but the drive seems to struggle extracting info. the disc sounds like it may be trying to spin, though it is too thick.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yeah, I really wouldn't trust it in any slot-loading drive. The chances of it getting stuck or the disc getting scratched are too high for my comfort.

My PowerBook makes what I assume is a similar sound when it finds a CD it doesn't like. It makes a short sound like it's trying to spin up, then it stops. It tries it three or four times before finally spitting the disc out.

7. saga thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help wild cowboy. To your knowledge, do the drives on the imacs and macmini's have the same problem?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I would imagine that any slot-loading drive holds significant potential for these same issues. I'd feel a lot better about sticking it in a tray-loading drive.

9. saga thread starter macrumors regular

man that's a bummer. Seeing that the macpro is the only slot loading drive in the mac lineup. Guess it would be wise to hang onto my emac for some reason. Thanks for the help, i appreciate it.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Oh, right...I forgot that even the last eMacs still had tray-loading drives behind the door. :eek:

But yes, the Mac Pro is the only tray-loader in the current lineup. You could always track down a friend's/work computer with a tray-loading drive if you needed to rip a DualDisc...it doesn't seem like it would be needed all that often.

11. mac-mini macrumors newbie

mac mini

i have tried a dualdisk on a mac mini and it does not work. also it doesn't work in my PC which is tray loading

12. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I've got several dualdiscs, and all of my Macs are slot-loading. I've discovered that some discs will be fine in one Mac, but not in another -- but it's not as if there's one Mac that mostly works, it seems to be more dependent on the disc and not the Mac. It's really weird.

So I just keep on trying it until I find a Mac that it works on. I haven't had a dualdisc get scratched (although I'm knocking on wood furiously right now!), and I haven't had a dualdisc that couldn't be read by anything. That said, I've got two Macs on my desk at work, and a grand total of four Macs at home, so I've got lots of opportunities. :)

13. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    First off, a DualDisc and a Dual Layer DVD are two completely different things. I'm only saying that as I think the terminology here is on the verge of getting a bit blurred.

Your best bet would be to do a Google search for DD compatibility based on Model. When you find one that seems to be the most compatible, go and buy it. If it happens to be an external drive, that's fine; if not, then go buy yourself an enclosure and put it together. (This is how I come to have a Dual Layer DVD-RW connected to my PB G4.)

Good luck!

14. esposimi macrumors member

My MacBook reads the DVD side without any problem