Dual Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by markjones05, May 14, 2005.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Im getting a second 17" cinema display for my dual 1 ghz powermac G4 MDD. I just wanted to know if I needed to get any sort of extension or converter to make it fit on the second display port on the back of the computer. I have tried plugging in an old crt to it with the converter that comes with the computer but i dont think that it would fit a cinema display. Does anyone know what i need? A link or a name would be fantastic.

thanx guys.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you mean studio display?, if do it's ADC and your current one uses your only adc port and you need a DVI-ADC converter which runs in the region of $100-150.

it would be a better idea to just get a dvi moniter which is generally cheaper and better quality than an old 17" display

also what graphics card do you have?

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have an Nvidia ge force 4 ti card. Im going to get the 17" display ive got a great deal so all i need is a DVI-ADC converter?

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yeah you'd need one of those but they cost $100 that plus the average cost of the things on ebay ~$300 you could buy a 20" dell DVI display, or for $400 more an apple 20".

5. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thats ADC to DVI you need DVI to ADC, ADC is DVI with power and usb. so an ADC to DVI converter just cuts out the power and usb, a DVI-ADC converter adds power and usb thus is way more expencive.

7. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

DON'T BUY THAT ONE! What Hector said... You need DVI-to-ADC, like the one here:

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0111-DVAD

Otherwise, if you get the eBay one you're looking at, the display won't work.

I agree, it's probably better to get a native DVI monitor for the second display instead of the 17" Studio. Get the Dell 2005FP, those 20" monsters are CHEAP!

8. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Why wont the one i linked to on ebay work? How is DVI to ADC different that ADC to DVI? Doesn't it just depend on which way your flip it? Finally do they sell these at the apple store because it seems like some people here are trying to get me to spend more on things i dont need coughHectorcough

9. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

oh i see i need the male dvi to convert to the female adc and the ebay one was female dvi to male adc.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Well one will have a Male DVI to Female ADC connector (the one you need) and the other will have a Male ADC to DVI Female.

Edit: Whats the second port on your video card? I have the same vid card on my DP867 and I swore it has a DVI and ADC port.

11. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have a female adc port, and a femal dvi port. Thats y i need the mail dvi, female adc adaptor.

12. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

read my post, the adapter just blocks some signals and the power needed to run the montier if you use it as intended to turn a ADC port into a DVI port, the DVI to ADC adapter is expensive because it needs to use a power adapter which you plug into the wall to power the monitor and it needs to have a usb cable to allow the usb hub in the monitor to work.