dual displays inquiry

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by taytho, Feb 18, 2007.

1. taytho macrumors 6502

i have a ibook g4 currently.

i can get my hands on a couple of 19" widescreen displays which would be great. i would love to run them as duals with the g4 in clamshell mode and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo. This is possible, is it not?

also, i only have the mini dvi to vga output plug that came with my ibook. If i were to just get a vga split cord would it run them both through that port in my ibook would they still be able to run as dual displays (one big workspace on two displays)

Thanks in advance

2. mike dunx macrumors regular

i'm not positive about this, but I don't think that you can use more than one external monitor on any mac laptop with out some what distorting the image quality.. i think a vga splitter would blur the picture.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No. You can't just split video signals with a cable splitter. It doesn't work that way.

Your only option (MAYBE) is the rather uninspiring Matrox dualHead2Go. It's expensive, it's analog-only, and it's dumb because your Mac only thinks it's connected to one display; hence, windows will often pop up straddling the two displays. For the amount of money you'll spend on that piece of junk and the two monitors, a much better bet would just be to get the largest single monitor you can afford or that the iBook will connect to. Maybe a 24" widescreen? I'm not familiar enough with the iBook's graphics capabilities to say for sure.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You cannot split the VGA signal that comes out of your iBook. You also cannot run your iBook in clamshell mode without a hack. Linkety

5. mike dunx macrumors regular

oh yea, the screen doctor thing. i use it with my 19" widescreen LCD and my iBook G3. works very nicely.

6. taytho thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much. I had a feeling that it wasnt a real possiblity. I just found some 19 inchers for 100 bucks after rebates and thought a pair of 19s would be pretty great. I was looking around for a good 22 inch widescreen and think i will probably hold out for that. Its just such a good deal for that 19. Thanks again.