Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Hey, i have a few questions

1) Will the hack/patch that enables extended desktop on the iBooks work on the new G4 iBooks?

2) In extended desktop on the 12" Powerbook and the iBooks, what is the maximum resolution on the external screen

3) Can you operate an iBook in "closed-lid mode" and use a higher resolution than 1024x768 on it? I tried this on my GF2MX iMac (no patches installed) and i couldnt get any higher than 1024x768 - horrible on a 19" monitor for anyone under 80 years of age.

Basically, i like to be mobile and travel with my computer, but when i have to do work, i work in photoshop at 1600x1200 (try working at 1024x768 with photoshop - it's near impossible)

Thanks if you can help me!

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
I don't know if the exact way of doing the hack will work anymore, since this is a new graphics card in the ibooks. This I'm not sure on....

When I was doing this hack on my ibook the max resolution I could get was 1024*768...That is the max. The same should go with "closed lid" operation. Be *very* careful if you plan on trying this hack on one of the new ibooks...I would wait until there is documentation on the web of someone else doing it before I tried it.....this is a hack that can screw you up pretty bad.

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
Found this on the site I used for the hack:

"This patch works with current iBooks, which have the ATI Radeon Mobility (sometimes reffered to as RageM6) only. According to the Apple Store these are the model numbers of the supported systmes: M8600*/A, M8602*/A, M8603*/A."

-when he means is current....he really means older...LOL.

tek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
So i won't be able to run an external monitor any higher than 1024x768 on an iBook?

fraeone

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2003
Seattle, WA
Direct from the author of the ibook hack:

i already received a report claiming it works fine with the new ibook
(he tried it on a 12" 800mhz g4 model).
you´ll either need to do the manual patch in open firmware or use a
revised panther compatible version of my applescript program (it´ll be
available for download in a few days from my website).

the patch will work the same way in panther. the only reason you need a
different program for panther is that applescript programs compiled in
jaguar sometimes dont work in panther.
-klaus

As far as external resolution is concerned, the webpage for the hack says that "When you install the patch you not only get the ability to use an external monitor to extend your desktop but you also get to choose the external resolution. It's no longer limited to the internally available resolutions. Most resolutions that are available on Powerbooks or Powermacs will be available on your iBook or iMac."

I haven't tested it myself, but I believe some users on forums.macnn.com were reporting 1600x1200 or better external resolutions. Maybe you have an old version of the hack ScottDodson?

Hope this helps..

jtown

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
The hack, when applied correctly to a supported machine, allows monitor spanning with independant resolutions, color depths, and refresh rates. This was one of the first things I did to my 800Mhz G3 (32 meg 7500M) and it works great.

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2003
Chicago
Nice to see it still works!! Good to see you can change the res now too...yeah, prolly have an old version...since I've been doing it since i got my ibook a while back :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.