Dual displays RULE!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Wildcat, May 13, 2002.

1. Wildcat macrumors regular

Ok you may or may not remember some threads that I started a while ago pertaining to dual diplays and various graphics cards. Anyway I am now running dual 19" CRT displays. It is SWEET! ( Drools all over keyboard ) Just wanted to say that you where all right. Two heads are better than one.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Dual displays RULE!

i've said it before... and I'll say it again...

once you've gone dual... you'll never go back...

arn

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: Dual displays RULE!

Bravo! :D I couldn't live withut my dual screens, there just isn't enough space for all the windows I want open on 1 screen.

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I use my dads 22" cinema display with my 19" CRT when he goes away. Man is it hard to give it back! I wish he would stay away for longer... does that make me a bad person? ;)

5. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I use dual displays with my PB, this is because it is so much easier, on my PowerMacG4s I have 2 displays, this is my old desk:[​IMG]

I will post a new picture later.

Ensign

6. iGav macrumors G3

Dual displays rule.....

I have a Sony LCD in supplement to my TiBook, which gives me 30.2" of viewable screen space, not the most....... but handy all the same, particularly for Combustion....... :D

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Duals are so nice! Could imagine Dual 23in flat displays? That would be the greatest! MAJOR DROOL!

8. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

Here is a picture of the new setup

Attached Files:

• dual.jpg
      dual.jpg
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When I get a new desktop machine, I'm going to try to get 3 screens, after using two at work, I've sometimes found the need to have 3 apps running at the same time that I use interchangeably - Lightwave, Modeler, Photoshop. I can just imagine how cool it would be with FCP.

Sure its a luxury, but if the prices on the 17" LCD displays come down some more, it will be totally worth it.

10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Jesus! Do you guys really need that much? ...and dual CRT's?? I don't envy your eyes and skin. Watch out for the Big "C."

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

on my old Starmax system I had a dual display setup...

it works really well when u need access to many palettes simultaneously...

esp. for videographers....they need as much space as possible...

12. Wildcat thread starter macrumors regular

Its not that bad the onw on the left runs at a refresh rate of 100 Herts at 1024 x 768 but the one on the righ runs at the same resolution only at 85 Herts. So the main Display is very easy on the eyes. Anyway any pain I might suffer due to heat or jsut strain on the eyes is more than worth it. I love it!

13. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

As long as you're happy, I say. Anyway, all those recreational drugs I consumed in my late-teens/early-twenties have taken their toll on a lot more than my eyes, but I wouldn't take it back. Fun hurts. :D

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nice! :D A couple of questions...
    Is that he 22" or the 23" Display?
    How the hell does a 15 year old afford this, I know I couldn't have :(

16. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

how exactly do dual displays work? does one like continue straight on from the edge of another one or something? or are they two completely different desktops?

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

They display two parts of one BIG desktop, depending on how you have them arranged. You mouse to the left edge of the right screen and your mouse shows up on the right edge of the left screen.

I must have at least two displays on my next machine...the few times I've had a chance to work on dual setups it's been wonderful.

18. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

wouldn't it get sort of annoying moving your head/eyes across the two screens every time your mouse moved across? so does it appear like a super wide screen or super tall screen or something?

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

not really annoying at all...

it's more like u have a panoramic screen...what sucks is when u have it...then u don't...u get really used to it... ;)

20. big macrumors 65816

big

I concur, in Architecture, having all the tool pallets on one screen and your main drawing pages on another make a *HUGE* difference in production speed, and well worth the cost.

the fun factor is just an added bonus. All my PC friends always marvel at how you can move windows from one screen to the other as if it's one big desktop (which it is).

my only problem is Im always broke, and when you lose a monitor you could get by with just the other one, though I always wind up getting a new one ASAP. I have (for what its worth) a 19" about to go out, (it flickers after sleep and boot for 5 minutes) any buyers?

21. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

22. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

Dual head

As Arn stated, once you've gone dual, you'll never go back. I first tried it in '99 on my B&W G3 400 and it was great -- two 17" CRT's. Now I've got just about an ideal setup, two top-of-the-line 19" Sony G420S's.

Take a look at my system (photo)

...if only my iBook allowed a 2nd desktop (it's external display capability is limited to mirroring only). Still, these Sony's have dual inputs (each) so it's a breeze to park the iBook 700 next to the left display and flip the switch to get a larger version of what's happening on the iBook's screen.

blakespot

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Dual head

Sorry to go OT, but I love the "Princess Bride" poster, blakespot.:D

Nice dual Sonys, BTW.

24. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

so how come u can have 2 desktops and the menu bar only goes across one screen?

25. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

That's just how it works. One screen "wears the pants" while the other does not.

blakespot