Dual Dual G5 concept...

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, Jan 28, 2005.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

only for humor and curious minds...

dual 3.0 liquichilled. dual, dual layer dvdrw/cdrw, dual firewire 2 gig front side bus. In our dreams of course...

[​IMG]

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I'm confused. What is 'dual dual'? Are you talking about a quad proc machine? They will have G5's at 3.0 GHz eventually. Firewire isn't really a FSB....at all. Or maybe I'm confused still :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The "dual dual" is referring to a dual-core, dual processor PowerMac G5. :)

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is the dual drives, dual FW ports I think.

5. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Referring to everything dual, kinda pointless. :rolleyes:

6. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Not having dual drives on the powermacs is probably its main downfall. I suspect Apple will put another drive in at the next revision, possibly in June.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very impressive. Apple just trying to give the Pro user what they want. Hopefully it will be optional.

8. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Do you think Apple will ever have 4 processors in a PowerMac? Or would it be way too expensive? It would be nice though. :)

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that Apple will offer a Quad Power Mac eventually. It would be even more likely if they can't reach the 3 GHz level soon. It's all a matter to attaining the engineering, don't think cost will be a problem. They need to offer something to put a spike in sales.

10. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Why? Most people never used the second bay available on the G4's. What the next G5 needs is more space for internal HD's. It would be nice to be able to have 4 or 5 in there, and I mean without having to get 3rd party rigs and another sata card.

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This may be your own opinion. But for many the ability to make a copy of a disc without ripping an image first is a huge time saver. I don't have any idea as to how something like this could be implemented only option as to the way the Powermac is designed. It just wouldn't look right. I do agree with you that more hard drive bays are needed. Many large PC cases can carry around 4 3.5" drives with the ability to also go into the 5.25" drive bays. The whole problem is that Apple doesn't want its customers to have a great deal a customizable system options. And it really hurts the customer this way.

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

A company named Daystar Digital once sold a quad processor PPC 604 132Mhz mac so Apple may be able to do something similar. Of course, the quad 132Mhz mac cost over $10,000 at the time :eek:

13. ddtlm macrumors 65816

So assuming the 970mp happens and uses the same FSB, a dual-dual would be simple for Apple. But I still think it would be a bit silly. Lets compare a dual-dual with a big SUV. ;) For both of them:

1. There is little observable benefit.
    2. Size, power usage, and cost are higher than they need to be.
    3. Despite the lack of observable benefit for 90% of users, most everyone makes up excuses ("I carry dogs" or "OSX is multithreaded").
    4. Status would be a selling point.

I'd much rather that Apple took just one 970mp and made a smaller dual-cored machine around it (compared to current G5 towers).