Dual DVI?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marcosc, Mar 16, 2007.

1. marcosc macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have an Apple 30" ACD and I've been wanting to hook it up to both a MacBook Pro and a separate home-built PC. The problem is, as you may know, that the ACD has a single cable that runs all the separate cables (DVI, USB2 & FireWire) through it.

What would be my best alternative to get these two hooked up simultaneously to the display and have it switch output between computers at will? Ideally, there should also be USB2 connectivity. I've heard about KVM switches, but I'm not sure if they're the best (or only?) option for what I'm trying to achieve. Finally, if anyone has a recommended product that has worked for him/her, by all means, please recommend it.

Many thanks,
    Marcos

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Attached Files:

3. marcosc thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek: :eek:

For something like $200 more I could rather get a Dell 24"... but I worry about those 'panel lottery' issues. Or was that only for 20" Dells?

Don't know what to do now... :confused:

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

HP LP3065 30" Monitor Has 3 DL DVI Inputs $1700 List

The other solution is to sell your 30" and buy a HP LP3065 30" Monitor which has 3 DL DVI Inputs on it. I plan to buying the HP 30" When I get my 8 core Mac Pro. I have 30" Dell now. I'm gonna switch back and forth between the Mac Pro and my Quad G5 on the HP while moving the Dell 30" I have to my Mac Pro. Then I'll also hook up the HP 30" to my new MacBook Pro as well. 3 Computers One 30" monitor NO switch expense.

I'm really multi-monitor crazy. :eek: I like to have 4 screens up all the time PER Mac.

5. srexy macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat - I found these on Ebay. Seems to me that unless you need the remote - a mechanical switch should be fine

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

This Thread Is About DUAL LINK DVI Switches Not Single DVI.

No those won't work. It has nothing to do with the remote. It's about DUAL LINK. All that cheap stuff is plain old DVI.

7. srexy macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected

Ok - well I guess I'm not exactly in the same boat insofar as I am only trying to hook up a 20" ACD to my pc and MBP. Am I correct in my research that the 20" has a native res which would be supported by single link dvi (and by extension - the plain old DVI switch-box)?

Apologies for the thread jack.

8. srexy macrumors 6502a

9. cepler macrumors member

cepler

Single link will handle up to around 1920x1200x60hz