Dual G4-Busted Processor? Any tips?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Balin64, May 3, 2005.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Hello:

Here's the deal. I have an opportunity to pick up a dual 867mhz PM G4. It's from a marketing department that just upgraded to G5's. I do not have an opportunity to check it out beforehand: they say they're too busy. Whatever. Anyway, the price is right: 150 bucks. They say that one of the processors is failing. What? Anyone heard of that? They couold not tell me if this was verified by a tech or that's just what they came up with. Corporatemongers, what can we say? :confused: :confused: :confused:

So: have you guys heard of this before? Is it possible to replace just once processor or are they syamese twins. As far as I am told, it has adequate RAM, an 80GB drive, and a Combo Drive. Good deal? Any ideas?

2. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Ya bums

Fine. I found some info on my own. :( :(

I'll still get this system and configure it so it will work correctly; I may not be able to do it all myself, but maybe a social services agency can use it. I am hoping so, my ex was a social worker and maybe she can find a home for this G4. :p

3. Invizzible macrumors regular

I've never heard of replacing only one processor in a dual machine. But you could always get a dual processor upgrade card, and replace both processors. A card with processors as fast as, or a little faster than, 867 Mhz is probably pretty cheap these days.

4. arribadia macrumors member

What? Are the processors soldered onto the mainboard (or Logic Board) or something?

You should be able to find a replacement and just swop the toasted one out ;)

5. Invizzible macrumors regular

Far as I know, the processors are soldered onto a small daugher board, that plugs into the main board. That's how it was with my single processor 400 Mhz Powermac G4. I bought an upgrade card, to replace the original daughter board. The upgrade card has a 1.4 Ghz processor soldered to it.

I suppose if you're good with a soldering iron, and can get hold of a replacement processor, you could just swap out the bad one. Then again, it might not be the processor that's bad. It might be a resistor or something that's mounted to the daughter board but external to the processor chip.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you can disable the dodgy cpu with chud tools, it's probably the cache so i'd try downclocking it go to www.powerlogix.com they have a tool for doing so.

i wish i had q dual 867MHz g4 for $150 :(