dual G4 Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by chibianh, Mar 6, 2002.

1. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

2. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Male Bovine Excrement you say?

MBE is an amazing power source/heat sync that coverts BTU directly into milllivolts!:D ;) :rolleyes:

3. dualburn001 macrumors regular

no way!!!

what the hell is he using to cool that thing?
    even if it's perfectly cooled it would weigh an enormous amount (8-9 lbs) with the cooling

4. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

two words:

erm... no

although, perhaps the dual 500 mhz adds up to the 1ghz powerbook that that band nerd was going on about? ;)

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Cool!

I think that would be cool. Needs to get cool, or Apple will have grande problemos en la tiende de ropa!

6. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Dualie

Difficult technically, but what I think would be cool is a dualie powerbook with the processors mounted behind the screen with a viewing window so you could see both of them in there.

7. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

Dual Processor PowerBook G4 for Mac World New York?? ! :)

8. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I would most definitely not hold my breath for a dual processor powerbook. In laptops power usage is of incredible importance and is an area that adding a second processor would just make no sense.

blakespot

9. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Hmm...

I think it might work. As Apple has stated, the G4 is going to replace the G3, and the new G4's use far less power (or so I've heard). The iBook could either move to 1GHz G3's when the PowerBooks do, or the iBook could move to G4's, and the PowerBook could move to dual G4's.

10. bunge macrumors member

Energy Saving could easily shut down one of the two processors when not plugged into a wall. This would eliminate some of the heat and power problems a dual PowerBook would create.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

this is so true

now if the laptop had this super futuristic battery that could handle that...then fine

but my guess is that a dualie g4 laptop would get less than two hours from the current battery...assuming one is running apps that use both processors at the same time

personally, i can't stand a laptop with any less than three hours on a single charge and the idea of carrying around an extra battery sucks big time

so dualie g4...fine for the future, but not right now thank you

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

can u say a load of....?

I doubt it...

The Ti heats up too, too, too much to be able to handle dual processors. Unless motorola developed a heat-resistant, low-power-drainage processor (and we all know Motorola's track record in chip development these days!)....this just seems like an idea more than a reality...

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: can u say a load of....?

hey eye,

i know what you mean by hot

from my techie manuals, the hottest mobile chip ever was the now defunct amd k6-II which i have in my old pc laptop...it ran so hot that i used to use it as kind of a lapwarmer on those cold northern califrnia mornings

it is a wonder that the plastic has not melted yet and if the laptop were made out of metal, there would be lawsuits due to second degree burns... or at least anybody with a 98/99 era k6-II could turn it over after a couple or hours and cook lunch on it...hey, a real dual usage machine...i should patent it

my 366 k-II gets so hot that a techie reviewer benched a severely overheated 366 at the speed in a pentium 1 range! (i wish i saved the cnet or zd article)

14. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: can u say a load of....?

is that what they mean when they say "Multi-tasking?"

:p he he he...

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

how this one for multitasking eye,

now if we wanted to heat the whole building, we could get a whole bunch of desktop 486 chips...that would do the job

now we are talking hot, and the mobile g4 is a vitual air conditioner in comparison, but it's just that laptop battery technology is still in the dark ages...so a dual g4 laptop running, let's say, 5 hours on a battery is still a myth (unless that battery weighs five pounds and we are back to 10 pound laptops):p

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

no way...

Unless they utilize some kind of active cooling system in the laptop, there is no way it can work. With the size/form factor of the TiBook, that is not all that practical. Have you seen what they did to the heat sink and such on the dual G4 500 desktop's??? Granted the chips use less power now, but I can't see them producing all that much less heat, if any.

You can forget about wearing shorts with the TiBook on your lap for any length of time. It gets hot enough to singe hair, and I have the proof of that. Even jeans are not enough sometimes, or after an hour or so.

I would like to know what the people that put these messages up on the web are smoking (the original site, not the post here) so that I can get some. Maybe that would do some other reality warping in my area... like make peecee's actually easy to use... I won't hold my breathe.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: no way...

correct me if i seem wrong, but i think it actually possible for a dual g4 tibook AFTER a g5 desktop, and sometime in very late 2002 or more likely in 2003...any dual g4 tibook now is out of the question unfortunately

things come very slowly for apple and while i think the new imac was great, i could have stood to seen it come out a year or more earlier

what do you guys/gals think?

18. exbox macrumors member

Unlikely for at least a few years

I really don't think apple will release a dual g4 powerbook. The current powerbooks already run very hot. The heat given off two chips would probably be enough to heat my house! My G4 powerbook right now burnt out its speakers because I left it on for two long!

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

No sales for reasons other than heat...

Here are some other reasons why Apple will not make a Powerbook G4 with two processors w/o the problem of heat:
    (1) The current single processors in PBG4s drain the battery power in around 4 hours or less. Two processors may mean an absolute maximum of 3 hours, if the Powerbook ran 24-7.
    (2) Two processors (let's say, 600MHz) would increase the price of the Powerbook dramatically.
    (3) Dual processors are specially designed for the Powermacs, (I think) because Apple wants to keep the power and speed in the Powermacs. Otherwise, it may kill Powermac sales.

We probably will not see a dual G4 in the Powerbook because once Apple has the G5 standard in their PowerMacs, Apple will move them to the Powerbook.

20. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: Unlikely for at least a few years

Thats just messed up. Nothing worse than a handicapped tibook because of heat issues.

So let me ask you the obvious question.... "What exactly was this powerbook doing, when you left in on too long?....ie. programs on, jobs, whatever...and how long exaclty was it on? Im assuming you have the frist tibook model...right?

21. spikey macrumors 6502a

I dont think it will happen just because it isnt an apple priority.
    think about it, they should catch up to PCs first.

22. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

23. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

In being royal pain's to configure... Mac laptops are a breeze compared to peecee laptops to set up for people...

Just a fact man.

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

no i believe you alpha tech... im not questioning macs puters.

spikey was just saying that the powerbooks are lacking behind pcs...i assume he was talking about speed and or quality.

25. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

OWWWWW

OWWWWW MY LEGS THEY BURN!
    That would be so hot it would melt the case.