dual g5 fans making lotsa noise??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Col127, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Col127 macrumors 6502

i put my g5 to sleep before heading off to bed last night. when i awoke this morning, i heard this really loud, fan like noise coming from my g5. it was so loud, i thought it was from outside, like from those construction-type machine. anyways, i couldn't wake the g5 up from sleep. the fans were running super loud. i had to power down by holding the power button down. any ideas as to why this happened?? or what it means? has this ever happened to anyone else?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It almost certainly crashed in some way. The fans ramp up to full speed when the controller software stops responding. It does this to protect the hardware. Don't worry about it unless it happens starting a lot, in which case you might want to run the hardware diagnostic CD.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A very similar thing was happening to a friend of mine's G5 iMac... I posted a thread here about it but no-one responded.

Putting the Mac to sleep, then some time later the fans kick in at full speed, and the only way to stop them is to unplug the machine?

I downloaded and gave him the OS 10.3.7 updater which seemed to fix the problem... it may not work in your case or you may have this version on your machine already but worth trying first before getting more seriously concerned.

4. Col127 thread starter macrumors 6502

whew, thanks for the heads up. it was a pretty unnerving thing.