Dual G5 primary display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pc_convert?, Oct 11, 2003.

1. pc_convert? macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2002
    I am currently trying to decide what mac to buy.

My Choices are either the new 1.25GHz 15"AlPB, or the DualG5.

If I go for the G5 I can't afford to buy another display, so I was wondering if I can use the LCD I already have. It's not got an ADC connection, but can I use the secondary connector on the graphics card (DVI) for the primary display?

I realise I could buy a DVI to ADC converter but don't see why I should have to.
  2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    The graphics card (ATI) on the G5 comes w/ dual heads, ADC and DVI. Which one you want to be primary is totally configurable. So yes, you can just plug the LCD into the DVI port and use it as a primary display.
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    The G5 even comes with a DVI -> VGA adaptor just incase you dont have a DVI monitor.
  4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    Re: Dual G5 primary display

This question comes up a lot and it really is puzzling to me. I can understand the desire to buy one of the top two systems Apple makes, and well you have two choices.. laptop or desktop, but that's just ridiculous.

The new powerbooks aren't too shabby, they do one thing VERY well, but that one thing is "work on the go." If you're not planning to do that, why buy one? The dual g5 will trounce the powerbook on every spec and performance test... except portability. If you don't need portability, why buy one?

My suggestion is to buy the dual g5 and then start saving for a brand new 30" apple display in november. :)

Good luck.
  5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Re: Re: Dual G5 primary display

Do you have a laptop? I actually had the same question that this user had when making my decision for my last computer. I have a Powerbook 800dvi that belongs to my employer. I wanted to spend 3000-5000 on a new Mac system (including a dvCam). Powerbooks are for more than work on the go. They are for using your computer on the couch, the bedroom, the bathroom, taking it to a friends house to show off your iphoto slide shows. Taking it on trips to have music and watch dvds. A powerbook is for way more than "one thing"

I decided on the G5 for the sheer horsepower that it provided. I also want to be able to hook it up to my home receiver and television. Plus, I already have a nice laptop.

Rewatch the keynote where Steve Jobs talks about this being the year of the laptop. I agree. Once the computing ability of the laptop reaches a certain level, and I think it is there for the mac, it can do everything 80-90% off the home computer users need. Check email, surf the web, deal with the whole iLife package.

I am not trying to get down on your comments, but as a person who until my G5 gets delivered today!!! used a laptop as his primary computer since the release of the first Tangerine iBook, I can say, laptops rule.
  6. pc_convert? thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2002
    Thanks for the responses.

I plan to use the new Mac for coding so the G5 has obvious speed advantages, but I like the idea of being able to write code anywhere hence the PB.

My only concern with PB is that my coding sessions tend to last 8hours+ so I'd end up tethered to an electrical outlet anyway.....

I'll visit the local Mac dealer this weekend and play with both machines before deciding...

Once again thanks for the input.
  7. pavon macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2004
    In addition to peterjhill's comments, one very common situation where this comes up is when someone uses both Mac and PC. They usually want one of them to be a laptop and the other to be a desktop, for obvious reasons, but can't decide which should be which.