Dual G5 suddenly Loses Power and WIll Not Restart

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cincinnati, May 16, 2006.

1. cincinnati macrumors newbie

I have a Dual G5, 2.0Ghz, Late 2005 Model.

Suddenly, and without notice it powers down as if the cord were yanked from the wall. It will not start back up for about 10 minutes or more.

It began failing a week or so after I got it. It is now 3 months old and has failed numerous times. The issue has not duplicated itself on the technicians bench.

Apple agrees with me that they can't fix a computer that isn't failing during service, but will not replace it until several repair attempts have failed. The problem is that they don't consider a troubleshooting attempt as a repair attempt.

I spoke with several customer service supervisors who agreed that I could drive it 80 miles to the nearest authorized service center two or three times a month for a year and it would not have even 1 repair attempt unless the problem presented itself on the bench. They also agreed if I would buy Applecare, and I had a tech come onsite two or three times a month for a year, they would still consider no repair attempts had been made if the computer doesn't fail in front of him, and long enough for him to diagnosis the issue.

Has anyone been successful at getting an intermittent problem repaired under warranty?

How do I avoid racking up thousands of dollars in repair costs? Each time I take it in, they want to bill me for diagnostic time if they can't bill Apple. Plus I incurr $60 in travel costs to take it in. And I have to shut down my business for a day on each trip to the service shop.

One Apple service tech advised me to sell it and buy another new one or be prepared for a long battle to discover the problem.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Did you reset the SMU?

Ask the guys at the Apple Store to compromise and keep the machine for a day - you promise to come back and get it at close of business, so they are never technically "accepting it in for service."

The reason it isn't duplicating the issues is because it's cold by the time you take it in...have they ever kept it for any extended period?