Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbrowne1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I just unpacked and started to play with my new dual G5. Incredible jump up from my G3-400 iMac. No FCP tests yet though...

BUT...

I hear this constant ticking noise. It gets louder when I go into the power saving control panel and switch processor speed to highest, and quieter when proc. speed is set to lowest.

It's not too loud, and my room is as silent as can be (except for the quiet hum of the G5) so that makes it more noticable.

Is this normal?
Anyone else hearing things?

(btw, it's stock except for 512MB extra RAM)

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
I did hear the ticking noise last night.

Sounded like a cricket was in the computer.

Please lemme know whazzup with that!

wbrowne1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
haha. yeah, i'd have to agree that it def. sounds like a cricket.

I don't think it is a defective fan. It sounds more like an electrical noise than anything else. It stays a constant speed, but gets louder when the "Processor Performance" is set to higher, and isn't really noticable when doing CPU intensive work.

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven

BTW- all my USB stuff is working perfectly with the G5 now, as is my Firewire audio interface.

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
Originally posted by Marble
What was the (USB hub) problem?

Possibly pilot error... don't know, the hubs just weren't getting any power from the G5 when I first hooked it up, but a couple of restarts later it's been perfect for 24 hours.

The only problems now are
1) heard the ticking noise last night (went away)

2) iChat won't run at all

3) Safari quits sometimes when entering data into a "search" form field.

OKComputer

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
what youre hearing is electrical current. I guess thats the best way i can describe it. Ever heard a transformer buzzing? thats kindof what this is. its a high frequency noise caused by the passing of electrical current to the processors

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Originally posted by OKComputer
what youre hearing is electrical current. I guess thats the best way i can describe it. Ever heard a transformer buzzing? thats kindof what this is. its a high frequency noise caused by the passing of electrical current to the processors

Whatever it is I don't like it. Mine does it too. Of course being able to identify it only makes it worse. It really is a very unobtrusive noise as noises go. But now it is driving me crazy. Like the proverbial dripping faucet.

-dh

Genie

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2003
heaven
Originally posted by dhdave
I wish I could say that. Mine does it all the time.

-dh

Is there an Apple knowledge base article or something about the noise?
Seems like I remember Apple releasing a document about it and what their policy is on fixing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.