Dual GHZ or New Midrange? What to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by boognish, May 31, 2002.

  1. boognish macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 31, 2002
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #1
    I recently purchased a refurbished Dual GHZ machine which is plagued by the dreaded flashing problem as well as a loud fan noise. I have 3 days left to return it to the reseller for store credit. After losses on shipping, I will only be able to afford whatever the midrange machine happens to be, come late july/early august.

    What would any of you do? Does anyone think the midrange machine will be better than the top of the line machine right now? I use Final Cut Pro 3 like a madman so dual processors are nice. Should I exhange it for a new midrange machine? Your input would be really helpful.
     
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #2
    Ouch, that sucks. Its a tough call. Being a FCP user myself and watching it render as we speak (on the other machine) I know what it means to have a faster computer. I'm currently running a 450MHz machine, so *anything* would pretty much be faster.

    You won't go for getting another refurbished machine? What were the specs on that one? You'll be gambling a bit because no one really knows what's going to happen in July, but faster bus/memory will make a huge difference. If you can wait, take it as a sign and take the midrange in July.
     
  3. boognish thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 31, 2002
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #3
    It is a Dual GHZ G4 with 1 Gig of RAM and a nVidia MX4 (complete with strobe light):)

    This decision is driving me crazy. It seems like there are positives and negatives on both sides.

    The fact that so many people have reported problems with the dual GHZ makes me want to exchange. But then again, I've only read what people have put on these posts and those discussions tend to be about problems. I've heard that Apple will release a fix for the flash issue next week. But THEN AGAIN, who knows?

    What would you do?
     
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #4
    Ouch, again.

    But what is the flash issue, I haven't heard of this. And aren't any problems covered under warrantee?
     
  5. boognish thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 31, 2002
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #5
    Sorry. When I say "flashing problem" I just assumed everyone knew about it, seeing as how it's been all over the discussion boards (there are almost 1,000 posts concerning this problem on the apple discussion board)

    Here's the deal... people with nVidea MX4 cards on dual ghz and 933 mhz machines have reported sudden flashes of white on their screens at random moments. I've recently talked to tier 2 tech support that pretty much confirmed that the logic boards of the dual GHZ machines are fundamentally flawed (problem with how the logic board interacts with the agp slot) and they are working on a software fix, so no matter what video card you get, it's still a problem that could happen. HOWEVER, it's been 6 MONTHS since Apple has known about this and a solution has yet to be presented. I believe it is even a possibility that the reason OS 10.1.5 is being delayed is because of a fix for his problem, not because of the Microsoft hold up for the Office update. The tech guy told me they are working day and night to try and have a fix for this problem built into the 10.1.5 update.

    Luckily my machine only flashes a 1/2 second of garbled nonsense once or twice a day, but there have been reports of that increasing over time. Who knows if this is damaging to the screen or computer? IT IS NOT a driver problem. It is hardware.

    My machine is completely useable, don't get me wrong. It's fast and it hasn't crashed once. I'm just a little scared that this machine is the product of Apple saying, "Quick! Let's throw a bunch of parts together to create a defined line between the imac and desktop machines! Hurry!"

    That is where my problem lies. I like the speed. But the machine has had many problems reported. I don't know what to do. Perhaps these problems aren't as serious as reported? When people are happy with their machines they don't tend to go spreading the word all over the internet. I am at a complete loss as to what decision to make. Take a financial loss and get a new midrange machine, or wait for the software/firmware update to arrive and hope that nothing else goes wrong with this dual gig.

    CHECK OUT THESE SITES FOR MORE INFO:

    MacNET v2
    http://www.macnet2.com/index.php?itemid=130

    APPLE DISCUSSION BOARD:
    http://discussions.info.apple.com/
    (go to powermac -> powermac quicksilver 2002 -> displays ->
    and then select the discussion with 957 posts!)
     
  6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2002
    Location:
    SFBA
    #6
    he he i remember the first time i ran the benchmarking thingy in norton and it started doing the graphics testing....that certainly freeked me out
     
  7. mymemory macrumors 68020

    mymemory

    Joined:
    May 9, 2001
    Location:
    Miami
    #7
    Hey, I posted something here this week and is not here any more:mad: :mad: :mad:
     
  8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

    Catfish_Man

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2001
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #8
    Tell me...

    ...is FCP3 very bandwidth heavy? (i.e. does it do a lot of computation on a little data, or does it mostly shove a bunch of data through the procssor?). If it's computation heavy dual processors will be important (so the DP 1GHz will be faster). If it's bandwidth heavy, DDR ram and a faster drive will be more important (so the new midrange will be faster [IF it has DDR and ATA100, which it most likely will]).
     

Share This Page