Dual GHz PowerBooks released

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Beej, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

That's right folks, there are now Dual 1 GHz TiBooks... unfortunately (for the rest of the world) only available in Australia!

Extract from Australian Mac World, July 2002. (Can you pick the problem? :D)

Attached Files:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

and indeed no superdrives for the portables...

I wonder how they'd avoid overheating :p

4. swexplorer macrumors newbie

what about a typo????

It seems to me that the 2x G4 was for the X Server line not for the Titanium...
    Before putting 2x CPUs in Portable I'd like to se more speed... please Steve!!! ;-)

5. Beej thread starter macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: what about a typo????

You're a cluey one, aren't ya? :D:p

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's not the heat, it's the humidity.

Dual processors would be nice, but considering the size of the heat sink and fan to cool my dual processor 800 MHz machine, the new PowerBook would be about 5 inches tall.

Would that be uncomfortable for typing?

7. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

hey .. lets see if apple asks to take this thread down.. like spymac.. heh... :p

that would be pretty neat if it was true.. how did you get a hold of this stuff?

8. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

notice how the infrared port is back... and no bluetooth? heh.. :)

Anh

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Beej, you need to get out more... or get something more... ;) :p :D

10. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

That was a scan

that was a scan. he could have printed it and scanned it. What was with the price?

11. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

The price tag worries me. The price tag does not represent any price that Apple has ever released for a dual-1GHz machine (unless I'm wrong). So, why would this company post a dual-1GHz laptop for over $5,000? It just doesn't add up to be a slight mistake. I'm personally guessing that it was an employee just making a joke.

12. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

This is in NO way a real rumor or event, No way!

It has to be some kinda of mistake, they meant to put Powermacs in the ad. thats all@!

13. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

But PowerMacs aren't priced that way. I'm confused to say the least. I know it's fake, but how dumb of a mistake could it be?

14. agent302 macrumors newbie

It's Australian dollars, hence the "high" price. And some of you people take everything way too literally.

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

No wonder you guys talk funny... :D.. If I got charged those prices, I would expect at least a kiss and some flowers after... :D

16. Beej thread starter macrumors 68020

Beej

Gee guys... it's just a typo!

OK, here's the full story, since it seems some (if not all) of you guys need it all spelled out. In every edition of the magazine 'Australian Mac World,' there is a section called 'The Finder,' which is a complete list of every non-BTO Apple configuration available.

Obviously, given this is Australian Mac World, the prices are in Australian dollars. Makes sense, huh? And no, we're not paying twice what the US does! US$1 is about AU$0.56 - it's called an exchange rate :p Italians must spend x million Lira on a system, but it doesn't mean they're paying millions of times more than people in the US, now, does it? (Oh yeah, I forgot, they use the Euro now, but you get the point.)

OK, so all I did was see a typo in 'The Finder,' laughed, stuck it on my computer and put it up here. It was supposed to be funny... it is not serious! It's a typo for cryin' out loud!

And BTW, rice_web, 'this company' you are talking about is Apple itself.
    OK, you guys get it now? Just repeat 'typo, typo, typo, typo' until you do! :p

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

yeah, that's pretty obvious beej, but think of the potential if you went to the dark side........:D

18. Beej thread starter macrumors 68020

Beej

What? Did I say typo? I meant to say that this is for real! I was talking to this guy in an Apple Store the other day, and I actually got to use one!

19. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I saw a CompUSA ad that had an Airport base station for only $99, and the Airport card for $299 :eek:

20. loicl macrumors newbie

I think if it appens in France, sellers cant refuse you to buy a base station for 99$ if you show them the ad. Maybe you could jump on that.

21. Beej thread starter macrumors 68020

Beej

Maybe if the Dual GHz PB ad was in French MacWorld we could force Apple to make us one? :D:D:D:D

22. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

$99 Airport Base Station

Here in the US, the store put disclaimers on their ads saying they are not responsible for mistakes in the ad, but in the store, they have to give you the price on the item even if it is wrong.

23. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

so that little bit was supposed to be for a TiBook 800MHz? then whats that bit about support for a 'Zoom Video card'? another typo?

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I think the 'Zoom Video card' is the latest version of the Vroom Video Card. :D

25. digitalrampage macrumors regular

Spastics

Hey guys,

I live in Australia, it was just a stuff up in our macworld.... I think it has the worse editors in the world...

Take for instance, after we closed down one of our stores, they continued printing it in the mac world for 5 months.... Not to mention Apple are bad at this as well... they were still refering customers to this closed down store up until last month... we closed it in August....