Dual input monitor with two computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swindmill, Mar 13, 2007.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I am looking to get a new display, and I am trying to figure out if it is possible to use one display that has both a VGA and a DVI connection with two different computers. I would be using it with my powerbook (DVI) and a pc running SUSE (VGA). I would like to be able to switch b/t the two computers by selecting the input. Right now, I am specifically looking at a Samsung 206BW: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001095

If this is a feature that is only available on certain displays, could someone tell me what to look for?

Thanks for any help.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yes, input switching is available on any display that has multiple inputs.

3. slicedbread macrumors regular

the majority of LCD's that have DVI input will also have a VGA D-SUB input as well. If this is the case they usually have a setting to change the input either as a dedicated button, or as a choice in the LCD settings menu.

More rare is an LCD that has two DVI inputs unfortunately...

4. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

My Dell 2405 lets me do just that. I have my PC hooked up via the VGA input, and my MBP hooked up via DVI. I've got separate keyboards and mice (just got the apple wireless keyboard today) for the two machines so that I don't have to deal with unplugging stuff. All it takes to switch from one machine to the other is a few pushes on one of the LCD's buttons. Nice and simple, although i do wish I had two DVI ports, cause the quality over VGA is pretty poor. Thankfully I use my MBP most of the time.

5. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Great to hear all this. This is exactly what I was hoping I could do. My Linux pc has an older m/b, so I can only use VGA with that for now. I was looking at the Samsung I listed above and an old model ACD, so knowing this makes me lean towards the Samsung with two inputs.