Dual layer DVD burner time/length limit?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by failsafe1, Nov 11, 2006.

1. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I am buying a Macbook pro soon and will have the DL dvd burner for the first time. With the dual layer drive is the 90 minute limit for iDVD gone? Isn't the limiting factor of non DL burners the size of a dvd-r? If not what is the advantage of a DL drive other than double data storage?

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

My personal guess is that iDVD will still have the 90 minute limit, I don't know why because a standard DVD holds 120 minutes of video, unless part is set aside for menus in which case it will allow more video on a DL Superdrive..

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The iDVD limit is 120min. I don't think the current version of iDVD supports DL DVDs though.

Generally speaking, the video limit on a DVD is determined by the data rate. You can max out a DVD w/1hr of video at a high data rate or cram 6hrs onto a DVD at a very low data rate (so low it makes VHS look stellar). Your options are limited on iDVD to keep the program simple and inexpensive.

Lethal

4. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Thanks for the info. I should have asked about DVD studio Pro also. It makes sense for iDVD to keep things simple. I use Studio Pro also so I should have included both in my original question. Some research I have done seems to indicate that Studio Pro will allow for 4 hours of movie or 8 gigs of data.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, DVD SP will make DL discs you just have to select that option when you are creating the disc.
    And you can shove like 6hrs on a single layer DVD, but the quality will be crap. 4hrs on a DL should be a good compromise between play time and quality.

Lethal

6. failsafe1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

failsafe1