Dual Layer DVDS?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by todd2000, Dec 5, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Is there any difference between Regular, and Dual layer Discs besides capicity? I was just wondering if a Dual Layer disc will work in a regular DVD player, that plays regular discs fine, or does the player have to support something special to use Dual Layer discs?

2. theWholeTruth macrumors member

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

FWIW many movies ship on DL discs... every once in a while a disc has a visible layer change pause in it.

4. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

The question is when are Dual Layers coming out for consumers to use. I would be gleaming to get some of those disc for backup of my stuff. But I think they are not releasing it for piracy issues like thats helping to stop bootlegging movies.

Anyway good luck finding dual layer DVDs if you can find them at a good price.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, what is it that you want that isn't available? Are you talking about hook-to-TV DVD recorders? Granted DL media is not super cheap, but they are fairly readily available....

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Google search for 9gb DVD-R's or DVD DL and bingo you have tons of options all fairly cheap.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I think theWholeTruth answered the question...let's break it down.

You get double the capacity with a Dual Layer Disc.

They should work fine. If in doubt do a test.
    As mkrishnan said "FWIW many movies ship on DL discs... every once in a while a disc has a visible layer change pause in it."

It's just that the consumer DVD burners couldn't burn Dual Layer.

8. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Mabye their not available in England, but you can get them at most stores that sell regular DVDs here

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

DL DVD Recorders

Dual Layer DVD recorders are available from Panasonic and Pioneer at least. The DL DVD isn't quite double the single layer DVD (8.5 Gig as opposed to 4.7 Gig). From reading the manuals on line, you can only record the first layer, then close that layer, then you can record on the second, after that you have to close and finalize the entire disc.

So, you can't quite record 2 hours per layer because each layer has less than a single layer. You can use a sort of fit to disc for each layer so that you get the 2 hours/layer, but you start to decrease the quality.

The computer drives you can just record on and the recording goes across the 2 layers...