Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Are there any decent priced Dual Link DVI switches out there? It doesn't have to be a KVM.

One day I'd really like to get a 30" ACD if I can afford it. However, at that size I'd want to be able to switch between HD TV content (Sky HD when it comes out) and of course the normal computer output.

If the prices are ridiculously sky high then I'll probably end up making a rudimentary switch myself. All you'd need is a honking switch that'd flip the inputs from one set of cables to another after all. With lots of soldering that could probably be done for about £20. It probably wouldn't be too hard either to design some basic circuitry to work off a remote control. I know it wouldn't be as elegant a solution as the expensive jobbies out there but it should work I think because as far as the screen is concerned its just being unplugged from one source and plugged into another one.

Spanky

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
You can get DVI KVM's / switches, but the problem is that the higher the resolution the higher the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.