Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgi0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
can it be done in a single hard disk? Two partitions maybe?

Will i get a choice of which one to start?

tnx

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
What versions are you talking about? OS classic and OS X? Different versions of OS X? Why would you want to do either? Just to see if it could be done?

Different partitions would work. Or install an OS onto your iPod or external HD, even a flash drive would work.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
GimmeSlack12 said:
What versions are you talking about? OS classic and OS X? Different versions of OS X? Why would you want to do either? Just to see if it could be done?

Different partitions would work. Or install an OS onto your iPod or external HD, even a flash drive would work.
how big would the flash drive have to be though

georgi0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
ok, i don't have a flash bigger than 512 MB so i figure this is out of the question...

I am talking about MAC OS cheetah and MAC OS Tiger. If it can be done, will i get an option on which one to start?

Also It will have to be on a single hard disk is possible. How much size will it apxm occupy each OS?

the reason is for testing purposes.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
georgi0 said:
If it can be done, will i get an option on which one to start?

Also It will have to be on a single hard disk is possible. How much size will it apxm occupy each OS?
If you hold OPTION during startup I think you will get a choice of which OS you want to boot from. As for on one disk I am really not sure but I will say No it will not work. The flash drive will need to be as big as it has to be for this to work. I would say that 1gb is probably needed (at very least). I'm assuming you don't have an iPod then?

The size of each OS is known at time of Installation as it should tell you how much HD room is needed, I estimate about 3gb. Why do you want Cheetah on your system? Which one was that anyway? 10.2? If for the purpose of seeing what OS X was like back then, I would kinda say don't bother as it isn't very impressive.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
georgi0 said:
ok, i don't have a flash bigger than 512 MB so i figure this is out of the question...

I am talking about MAC OS cheetah and MAC OS Tiger. If it can be done, will i get an option on which one to start?

the reason is for testing purposes.

You cannot run OS X off of a USB drive - Macs wont boot USB. You will need to use disk utility to setup multiple partitions which will erase the drive. Then install the two selecting which patition to install to. You can press (and hold) option on startup to select your boot and you can change it in startup disk in system prefs. Cheetah was 10.1 I believe. I'm guessing your setting up Leopard not cheetah, why anybody would want to use Cheetah is beyond me. I'm guessing you just don't want to tell us that you are using a Pirated version of Leopard, I say go for it so long as you actually buy a copy once it is avaialble. My 2c.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
baxterbrittle said:
why anybody would want to use Cheetah is beyond me.
For those people that got into the OS X game late maybe Cheetah is a curiosity that they want to look at. But I agree with Baxter, it is a waste of time. You'd be better off finding a website that shows the history and differences of OS X.

georgi0

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
baxterbrittle said:
I'm guessing you just don't want to tell us that you are using a Pirated version of Leopard, I say go for it so long as you actually buy a copy once it is avaialble. My 2c.

U got me and i do intend to get a licenced copy once it's available.
If I have an expternal USB drive can it be done? it's a small 1,8 inch USB drive that i use to mess around all the time.

Is this hold OPTION trick valid? will it actually work without formating my macbook again?

tnx

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
georgi0 said:
Is this hold OPTION trick valid? will it actually work without formating my macbook again?

You can't run Cheetah on a MacBook.

Whatever OS came on your machine when you purchased it is the lowest version OS that machine can run. ie: If your MacBook came loaded with OS 10.4.4, that is the lowest version of the OS it will allow you to install. You can't install OS 10.0, or 10.1, or even 10.4.3. It just won't let you. Even if you install it on an external drive, I'm almost positive that the machine won't boot it.

If you really want to run Cheetah, you'll need to find a used mac from early 2001.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Just as a point of interest, I thought I'd mention that I do know a couple people who have partitioned their drives to be able to boot into more than one OS version. The reason is that they have software essential to them that was no longer supported when the next OS came out, but they still wanted to be able to take advantage of the new OS. They just boot into the older OS when using the software in question, and use the new the rest of the time.

As far as I've understood, it does work.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
annk said:

As far as I've understood, it does work.
It works because both OSes are newer than the computer they are installed on. To repeat earlier posts, you cannot run a Mac on an OS that is older than the computer.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
MisterMe said:
It works because both OSes are newer than the computer they are installed on. To repeat earlier posts, you cannot run a Mac on an OS that is older than the computer.

I believe you, it just strikes me as strange. I can see why an older computer could have problems with a new OS (the newer OS could be dependant on newer hardware), but it's hard to see why a new computer can't handle an older OS. :confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
annk said:
I believe you, it just strikes me as strange. I can see why an older computer could have problems with a new OS (the newer OS could be dependant on newer hardware), but it's hard to see why a new computer can't handle an older OS. :confused:

Generally speaking, lack of drivers in the previous OS for the latest hardware....

Apple has policy-wise just chosen to not deal with it. I think it's something where they don't see eye to eye with the managed install world, though. For instance, when Tiger came out, a few critical apps for certain kinds of usage (e.g. in the sciences) were broken for some time by Tiger. But it became immediately impossible to buy a new Mac running Panther. In the Windows world this would never fly, because managed installs mostly use the same image on all computers. And this isn't possible when some of your computers are suddenly forcing you to start immediately supporting a new OS version.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
annk said:
the only reason i can see is that macbook can't do powerpc version of the OS, but i dont see why the generalization of the "original system is the oldest OS it can run" is true

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
georgi0 said:
what about parallel desktops? will it work there a dual OS?
you can make as many virtual machines as you like in parallel desktops... in fact, you can open multiple OS at the same time (wait, anyone confirm this? i did it w/ MS VirtualPC)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Thread closed. You may not ask for help installing unlicensed software or give such advice in these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.